Hey MJ

TTA89

Established Member
Thanks for letting me take your car for a fun run today! I knew the car was already a rocket in a straight line but I am totally impressed with how well balanced and setup to go around a corner it is. Kick Ass Street Car! :bowdown: :bowdown:

I hope you had a good time and will come out to some more events with us. :coolman:

"I think that guys car is broken, its making funny noises" :lol1: :lol1:

P.S. What are the name of those seats again? :rockon:

Last edited:

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Hey Mike,

I had a freakin' blast! I'll definitely be out with you guys more but I got to get me some good rubber.

My goal was to build a car that could do it all: turn and burn, look pretty, and smoke cocky a-holes in the quarter. After today I can check off 2 out of 3 areas. Only thing left to do is hit NED and see how it runs.

I've got a dyno appt. for next Wed up at Performance Dyno to make sure the tune is solid but safe. Then I'll be ready for NED.

I need to put that into my sig: "Click: Ah tell the guy in the blue Cobra that there's something wrong with his car; it's making funny noises like it sounds as if he's dragging something." LOL

The seats are Sparco Milano Prestige: http://www.sparcousa.com/pseats_street.asp?id=196

Thanks again for all the pointers!

MJ

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
First timers that know their cars well usually do a lot better than they think they will. You did superbly for your first time out. You car feels so easy to manage given the fact that it has a bazillion hp. I think you would do well to learn the car on street rubber. The falken 615's will be great out there... That is the tire most of the faster street tire guys run.

Randy Cunningham did really well too. I suppose Mike's car is just set up so well, and easy to drive that even a old drag race dog like him can go out and kick ass on his first day.... ...or maybe it is Mike...anything he does or touches kicks ass on the very first try. I keep asking him to sit in or rub up against my car to get some of the kickass-ness from him. He was leaning on my car yesterday. ;) Apparently that was good for a few tenths... :beer:

:)

Last edited:

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
WOW, I was up there watching some of you guys, and you hauled @ss! I hope to get involved with this soon....

Chris Yates

Established Member
Mark,

I have a set of FR5s that I'd part with, already have race rubber mounted:

17x9 with 275/40 Avons (what MikeS, Troy, MikeM were running)
17 x 10.5s with 315/35s Hoosiers (the balls as far as race rubber goes).

Both tires and rims are new.

Chris Yates
96 Kobra

TTA89

Established Member
Pictures from the Auto X. The people that haven't been out here with us are totally missing out of what real racing and driving is all about. :rockon:

http://www.palmerpix.com/autox_apr15/

DSC_3935.jpg

DSC_3799.jpg

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Chris Yates said:
Mark,

I have a set of FR5s that I'd part with, already have race rubber mounted:

17x9 with 275/40 Avons (what MikeS, Troy, MikeM were running)
17 x 10.5s with 315/35s Hoosiers (the balls as far as race rubber goes).

Both tires and rims are new.

Chris Yates
96 Kobra

Chris,

$$$???

MJ

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
:burnout:

The only place in New England you can drive like that past cop cars!

Chris Yates

Established Member
Hi Mark,

Looking to get what I have in the rims and tires (it's all new stuff). Actually I have two options for the front, new Avons or throw away BFG R1s (what I ran yesterday)

Rims ($416)
Hoosiers ($366)
Avons ($298)

or

Rims ($416)
Hoosiers ($366)
BFGs (free)

Here's what they look like: http://www.palmerpix.com/autox_apr15/DSC_3819.html

Worse case I'll just run these later in the year.

Thanks,

Chris Yates
96 Kobra

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Chris,

Let me think about this for a bit. I'm thinking I should tune my car in on street tires first and then get some more seat time on them before moving to race tires.

The only problem I see with my car now is the fact that I can't get more than 0.7deg of negative camber on one side (the k-member is shifted on my car). As a result, I had a lot of wear on the outer edge of my street tires from yesterday's event.

Mark

KenCobra03

Factory Rated 390 HP, much more now
Established Member
Hey Mark, I went up to Pete's, Performance-Dyno on Mustang Dyno Day on 4/15 and Pete said you were coming up there on Wednesday for tuning. Hope it tunes well
and let us know when you are going up to NED for your first track time. Ken

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
KenCobra03 said:
Hey Mark, I went up to Pete's, Performance-Dyno on Mustang Dyno Day on 4/15 and Pete said you were coming up there on Wednesday for tuning. Hope it tunes well
and let us know when you are going up to NED for your first track time. Ken

Hey Ken,

Now that I have my fuel issues sorted out, I'm going to fill up with 100 octane and shoot for a big number. I'm hoping for around 800rwhp at 18psi. Based on the other times I've been I think I'll see:

10psi ~ 650rwhp
15psi ~ 750rwhp
18psi ~ 800rwhp

At that point I'm finished as I've hit my goal. It's so amazing that when I started out with this car back in Fall of 2002, my goals started out like:

1. not going to mess with it at all
2. I guess I'll do a CAI and catback and shoot for 400rwhp.
3. well, maybe I'll put a lightning pulley on it and shoot for 475rwhp
4. with a few more bolt-ons and a lower pulley, maybe I can hit 500rwhp (no ported blowers at this time)
5. how about a Whipple and shoot for 600rwhp
6. since I just blew the engine, I'll build a 302 stroker in an aluminum block and go for 650rwhp
7. now that I've blown the 302, I might as well add bore to the equation and that will take the displacement up to 324cu-in AND since the Whipple won't keep up with that much displacment I might was well build that V8 twin-turbo setup I've always wanted.....with a bunch of boost maybe I can hit 750rwhp.
8. Now that the smoke has cleared, my goal is 800rwhp and be done with it.

Funny, in the back of my mind I keep hearing Jimmy V saying "MJ, beware of da slippery slope!"

MJ :bash:

Davesnake

you wanna go!
Established Member
Nice MJ! good to see someone else from this forum give it a try....autox is one of the most addictive drugs I've ever done :rolling:

Dave

EastCoast5.0

Established Member
I wanna go to the May 6th one, I hope my new job wont interfere.

Dave, how was your playtime with the GT?

KenCobra03

Factory Rated 390 HP, much more now
Established Member
Mark, I dynoed in '04 with a K&N FIPK and my Magnaflow catback and got...
401.83 rwhp / 369.80 rwtq
398.76 rwhp / 375.58 rwtq

Saturday I dynoed the same except I put back on my stock airbox with no
screen, drop-in filter and cut my silencer very short and got ...
399.99 rwhp / 375.99 rwtq
400.60 rwhp / 375.50 rwtq

Now the first two are the K&N FIPK and the second two are from stock airbox.
I have a lot more torque in the airbox. The FIPK will work better with pulley/tune.
I'm going with the SCT tuner, Steggy ported TB and plenum and I have now a
3.40/2.93/2.76 BF pulley. Pete is an awesome tuner, I have to get up to him soon.

Davesnake

you wanna go!
Established Member
EastCoast5.0 said:
I wanna go to the May 6th one, I hope my new job wont interfere.

Dave, how was your playtime with the GT?

awesome Alex,

sorry I bailed so quick but I'm sure you understand lol....

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread