Hey toofast4u...

f4sfed

Established Member
I know, you've probably been asked this question 1,000,000 times, however I can't find it in a search, PLUS I just found this out and would like to ask.

You have a coupe (if I'm not mistaken), and I just found out that the coupes front and rear spring rates are 600. Now that I know that, why did you go with 425 up front? It would seem as though you softened up the ride a lot in the front, and stiffened it a touch out back. Can you clarify?

TIA,
Stan :)

SVTyballz

Established Member
Coilovers need different rates. If i remember right, effective rate of the stock placement is 25% of the spring rate. and efective rate of the coilover position is 90% of the spring rate. For example a 300 coilover spring has the same effective rate of a 1080 lb spring in the stock location. Hope this helps.

gary

f4sfed

Established Member
Originally posted by SVTyballz
Coilovers need different rates. If i remember right, effective rate of the stock placement is 25% of the spring rate. and efective rate of the coilover position is 90% of the spring rate. For example a 300 coilover spring has the same effective rate of a 1080 lb spring in the stock location. Hope this helps.

gary

:eek: :read: :idea: OKAY! So he stiffened his car up a LOT! Yes?

coleman

Established Member
taken from Maximum Motorsports:
The spring rates must be converted into wheel rates. The wheel rate is the spring rate measured at the wheel. The wheel rate (for the front) of a Mustang is ¼ of the spring rate of a spring in the stock location. For example, An 800 lb/in stock location spring has a wheel rate of 200 lb/in. For a coil-over suspension, the wheel rate is 9/10th of the coil-over spring's rate. A typical coil-over spring rate for street performance handling would be 350 lb/in, which provides a wheel rate of 315 lbs/in.

so a stock 600#/in front is a 150#/in wheel rate.
my 375#/in coil-overs is a 337.5#/in which is the same as a 1350#/in in the stock location :eek:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread