HID alignment

x_man586

Going to UTI
Established Member
I installed a set of ddmtuning's 8k hids. I had no problem with the wiring or the install as a whole. I used the Texas dot headlight alignment specs and now people keep flashing me as if my high beams are on. I lowered the beams and still get fashed. I parked the truck and walked in front of it for about 100 feet. At no time did the lights shine in my eyes, but the bulbs are pretty bright. Would a pair of projectors solve my problem. They would focus the light. Has anyone else had this problem, what do y'all think?

Thanks

Bowhuntr11

I am a semi-n00b now..
Established Member
Yeah pretty much the lights are just bright and people are not used to them...You just have to ignore it...

When I am in a drive-thru or something I turn them off though...just to be nice to the person in front of me

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
the OEM housings arent made to focus HID's properly. In order to avoid getting flashed you have to aim them way lower than you normally would. Make the choice, blind people due to glare and see further or aim them lower.

Jarbolt01

01 Whiner
Established Member
Ya I get flashed all the time. Wait til you add the fogs to HID and you will REALLY piss people off. My 5 series BMW has 6000 HIDs and people flash me when I'm in it and they not near as brite as the 8000s I put in the L.

x_man586

Going to UTI
Established Member
I have both the fogs and the head lights. I kind of figured the part about the stock housings not being designed for the hids, which is why I asked about the projetor housings. I would think the projectors would focus the light better, but I don't know anyone who has both hid's and projectors. Thanks for the input so far.

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
people are flashing you because theyre a holes. my friend has a maxima with factory hids and people flash her too. if you notice its always old people. they cant get used to the newer style headlights theyre still stuck back in the horrible square sealed light days.

x_man586

Going to UTI
Established Member
There are aftermarket lenses all over the internet. I figured that some of those people were just being jerks. When I get tired of it I will find a good looking set of projector lenses and try them.

GK_crewchief

Kenne Bell Boosted
Established Member
4500K HIDs in headlights and fogs. I get some people who flash me when I have the fogs on along with the headlights... The fogs are a lot brighter, but they sure do fill in the dark spots that the headlights don't.

03LCalgaryAB

Established Member
the OEM housings arent made to focus HID's properly. In order to avoid getting flashed you have to aim them way lower than you normally would. Make the choice, blind people due to glare and see further or aim them lower.

+1 This is the main reason why you are being flashed. A HID specific projector will focus the light properly.
I have never been flashed with my setup.

x_man586

Going to UTI
Established Member
The way it was explained to me is that it is a spectrum. 4k is yellow 12k is purple. White light is the brightest which is 6k.

themadgnome

I don't talk stock
Established Member
Yea pretty much what they said, and I guess that makes me an a-hole too because I will not only flash idiots that put HID's in a halogen headlight, but I leave my brights on until they pass. Either do it right or don't put them in your truck, that is the only thing holding me back from doing it, I can't find a projector for the f-150 that doesn't look like crap.

I have never been flashed with my setup.

Just out of curiosity, what setup are you using?

x_man586

Going to UTI
Established Member
Well it was the foglights that were too bright. They don't have the cup in front of the bulb. I re-aimed the headlights and drove for about 30 milles and nobody flashed me.

Users who are viewing this thread