HID lense retro fit?

brads1

Established Member
Did a search, found nothing...

Aside from buying one of those rice headlight housings with the halo lights, leds, and other light show trash, has anyone just retro fitted a lense into the stock housing? Is there an aftermarket housing that looks stock aside from perhaps an HID lense?

brads1

Established Member
Nope,

You have to do your own retro fit. Or you can pay someone to do it. Just google HID retro fit.

I'm just curious if anyone on the board has done it and can post up some pics of how it looks... I was about to cut into my own, I have the lenses, complete HID setup from Lexus... But drilling into the light with a hole saw wouldn't work out too well as once you get through the plastic housing there is a thin metal reflector on the other side that I'd prob ruin.

Looks ok with the bulbs dropped in, but using the lense would be cool.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Put the stock housing in the oven and take off the clear plastic lens. That way you can take out the reflector and not damage it when drilling the housing.

There are one or two guys on the forum that have done a retrofit, just do a freakin' search. Someone starts a thread about HID's about every other day.

REDFIREKNIGHT

SVT XENON GURU
Established Member
I'm just curious if anyone on the board has done it and can post up some pics of how it looks... I was about to cut into my own, I have the lenses, complete HID setup from Lexus... But drilling into the light with a hole saw wouldn't work out too well as once you get through the plastic housing there is a thin metal reflector on the other side that I'd prob ruin.

Are they Bi-xenon projectors, if so then what model? Because when you do bi-xenon projectors, you are limited with what projectors you can work with due to space.

There are some members in this board that have done it. But if it is your 1st time, do alot of time of research on it before you get down and thirty. Your best bet would be Hidplanet.com/forum Read all their rookie posts, learn the basics & fundelmentals then start doing your project.

This type of project is not for everyone to be honest. Patience, craftmanship, creativity, electrical background & alot of reading is needed.

If you feel like its too hard, dont have the time or dont want to do the research then just pay a company that does it. There are alot of them now that do it.:beer:

RoyWoods

Established Member

This is my bi-xenon in an OEM housing:

HID1.jpg

You can also look here: http://www.tazcobra.com/elect.htm. Just scroll down about 3/4 of the page.

FWIW: I did a single xenon retrofit by myself and found lots of people who were willing to do one. However, I found it extremely difficult (almost impossible) to find anyone willing to do a bi-xenon retrofit into an OEM housing. If it is something you are seriously wanting to have done, send me a PM, and I'll give you the name of the individual who did mine.

boostme

Established Member
I did my own and am very pleased at how it came out. I wouldn't suggest using any other housing but the stock one. Also, you have to be careful as to which lenses you try to retrofit because only a few will fit into our housings. The only ones that come to mind are the Acura TSX(single xenon) and the Audi Rs6 (bi-xenon) which is what I have in mine. It isn't that hard at all just time consuming if it is your first retrofit. I will take pictures of the finished product but didn't take any of the process. I'll try to post some later tonight.

boostme

Established Member
Finally got the pics up. Sorry they are so big but you get the idea. Lo beam and Hi beam are shown and I tried to get a pick of what the headlight assembly looks like.
IMG_1152.jpg
IMG_1155.jpg
IMG_1151.jpg

Last edited:

brads1

Established Member
Are they Bi-xenon projectors, if so then what model? Because when you do bi-xenon projectors, you are limited with what projectors you can work with due to space.

There are some members in this board that have done it. But if it is your 1st time, do alot of time of research on it before you get down and thirty. Your best bet would be Hidplanet.com/forum Read all their rookie posts, learn the basics & fundelmentals then start doing your project.

This type of project is not for everyone to be honest. Patience, craftmanship, creativity, electrical background & alot of reading is needed.

If you feel like its too hard, dont have the time or dont want to do the research then just pay a company that does it. There are alot of them now that do it.:beer:

what else do I need to know other than what speed the hole saw is set to and if it's level or not?

Regardless, I'm going to keep the housings 100% stock, the HID's work pretty well with the stock setup... Doesn't seem worth the time for me right now.

Thanks for the help guys :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread