HID Nightmare

bumblebeetuna

Trade: Girlfriend for KB?
Established Member
So, before anyone asks, YES I did use the search and have spent the last hour reading thread after thread about kits, legality, bulb brightness, projector housings, ect...

This is what I have: 2000 Lightning, 04 Headlights/markers 00 fogs

This is what I want: HID kit for the Heads and fogs

Im leaning on a 6000K for the brightness. I need direction on which kit. Ive looked at stangmods and it looks pretty good.

My main questions is am I going to have to get projector headlights to correctly project the light. Also, I have looked at the PIAA 610 for foglights. Anyone using these?

-J

bumblebeetuna

Established Member
So it it pointless to invest in HID's if the correct housing is not avaliable or can you still find it? Could you adjust it in the stock buckets?

bda1855

Member of the Boosted16
Established Member
YUL LUZ said:
So it it pointless to invest in HID's if the correct housing is not avaliable or can you still find it? Could you adjust it in the stock buckets?

you need projector housings, which like said before they dont make... without them the lights are pointless and illegal in most states.

Scotts Elle

Yup. Still don't care.
Established Member
I use 6K HID's and they work great with my stock housing. They may not be "perfect" but its a heck of alot brighter than stock and looks good to boot.

Sometimes I get "flashed" by oncoming drivers when I have the fogs on.

bready

Established Member
I have 6000K with Harley headlamps. Having the projectors will control where the light spread goes. Of course, if i had a chance to swoop up on a pair I would. But I dont think its exactly necessary. *knocks on wood* I've yet to get pulled over by cops or get flashed by on coming traffic.

Last edited:

NO-BlkLightning2K

Putin 2016. Yup.
Established Member
you need a converter kit, don't know where to get them though. i know i saw some on ebay back when i was researching this project for my stang. never went with it though, too ricer for me.

txyaloo

Established Member
The Sylvania Xenarcs are the only DOT approved option, but they were removed from production at least 2 years ago. Sets still pop up on ebay from time to time.

I'm running an 8000k kit I believe in the stock housings and don't believe I've been flashed once. They're adjusted for a fairly low cut off. When I had them in my mustang, I was flashed quite a few times. They really do throw out some light even in nonoptimal housings. I say go for it before the govt completely bans the kits.

Z7What

Powered By Eaton
Established Member
txyaloo said:
The Sylvania Xenarcs are the only DOT approved option, but they were removed from production at least 2 years ago. Sets still pop up on ebay from time to time.

I'm running an 8000k kit I believe in the stock housings and don't believe I've been flashed once. They're adjusted for a fairly low cut off. When I had them in my mustang, I was flashed quite a few times. They really do throw out some light even in nonoptimal housings. I say go for it before the govt completely bans the kits.

iamwithstupid.gif

Wayne

pitstain

I love appetizer samplers
Established Member
get whatever retrofit you want, but aim them LOW, and dont drive behind me, cause I'll start tossing D-cell batteries out of my rear slider....:)

bumblebeetuna

Established Member
THanks guys for all the reply's. I think im going with the stangmods 6000k kit for the heads and fogs. Are they going to be the same tint and intensity?

-J

bumblebeetuna

Established Member
blklightningy2k said:
you need a converter kit, don't know where to get them though. i know i saw some on ebay back when i was researching this project for my stang. never went with it though, too ricer for me.

Whats a converter kit? Does the Stangmods Kit come with it?

HID Newb:rollseyes

txyaloo

Established Member
YUL LUZ said:
Whats a converter kit? Does the Stangmods Kit come with it?

HID Newb:rollseyes

That's the kit stangmods sells. Most will come with an HID bulb in a 9006 base to fit our application, a wiring harness, and the ignitor/ballast combo. Some will come with a relay system too. Once you get them installed, get in another car and have someone drive the truck behind you so you can see how the lights need to be adjusted. It's hard to tell when they're pointed at a wall.

Z7What