Hiding nitrous

JebTonkin

That's what she said.....
Established Member
I have an NX that I have decided to put on the Cobra but I don't want it to be seen, that includes the bottle. I have one idea but am looking for others. Let me know if this is possible, hide all the lines and solenoids in the fender and run the nozzle to the under side of my JLT rubber elbow, and hide the bottle under the mat in the trunk were the spare goes. Post ideas, experiences even pics of some setups. I really want it to be undetectible, well or close.

Shangsta

Phat back
Established Member
An extremely sneaky place to hide the nitrous is if you dont have anyone that rides in the rear you can take the backseat out and carve the underside foam out to fir the nitrous and the the make brakets to mount in under the seat. the seat wouldnt be usable but it is very hidden. You obviously cant run bigger bottles with this setup

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Why hide it man thats like cheating, plus anybody you run that knows about cars will know what a bolt on cobra can do. Or for that matter a sprayed cobra + bolt ons..
Plus its also a pain in the ass to deal with hiden kits everything is harder to reach.

just my 2 cents

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
JebTonkin said:
I have an NX that I have decided to put on the Cobra but I don't want it to be seen, that includes the bottle. I have one idea but am looking for others. Let me know if this is possible, hide all the lines and solenoids in the fender and run the nozzle to the under side of my JLT rubber elbow, and hide the bottle under the mat in the trunk were the spare goes. Post ideas, experiences even pics of some setups. I really want it to be undetectible, well or close.

A guy in my local club built a fake sub-woofer box in his trunk to hide his bottle. I think there might even a kit on the net somewhere w/ what looks like a JBL sub & enclosure. The whole thing comes out pretty easy so you can reach the bottle.

I'm w/ the other guy though, I saw a race go really bad 'cause someone sprayed a guy in a race w/ a hidden bottle and let's just say that when the tire tools came out, it wasn't becuase someone had a flat . . .

CobraKalas

Established Member
REX-RACER said:
A guy in my local club built a fake sub-woofer box in his trunk to hide his bottle. I think there might even a kit on the net somewhere w/ what looks like a JBL sub & enclosure. The whole thing comes out pretty easy so you can reach the bottle.

I'm w/ the other guy though, I saw a race go really bad 'cause someone sprayed a guy in a race w/ a hidden bottle and let's just say that when the tire tools came out, it wasn't becuase someone had a flat . . .

or when the other guy went for his tools, he found a nitrous bottle instead? :shrug:

JebTonkin

Established Member
REX-RACER said:

I'm not really a street racer so I just want it to be hidden, I mean I would tell someone if they asked but I would like to surprise a few people.

bouncer18

Established Member
why hide what you got.... your only fooling yourself...

put hte nitrous bottle in a gym bag and toss it in the back seat..
run the lines down the seat up thru pass side fender
mopunt selenoids in the fender

(DRY KIT)
Run the nozzle intot he tip of the air filter

(WET KIT)
Run the line over pass side header and tap the line on the bottom of intake

when all is said and done your better off just mounting the bottle int he trunk and doing it right.. one mistake will blow the car up (literally)

your dealing with a 10 pound bottle with over 1000 psi... it can be a bomb

UGAcobra

Established Member
I say hide the piss out of it, lol. My friends have come up with some VERY creative setups for street racing. I have seen the bottle in a bag in the passenger front floorboard (had his girlfriend go apeshit about that being her overnight stuff to keep some guy out who tried to look in the bag;)). I've seen a 5lb "oh shit" bottle mounted in the D/S tunnel. On a vert, if you make yours a manual top you can get bottles either behind the rear interior panels, behind the back seat, or under where the top retracts -- just don't put the top down when you've to the bottle in unless you like replacing $300 back windows. I've seen multiple bottles mounted so you tell someone you have nitrous and you'll take the bottle in the trunk out, when the one actually hooked up is right behind the driver's seat under a sweatshirt or something. Most people don't look further after they know there's one. Hell, albeit it was a rediculously stupid place to have it, a friend of mine had a 10lb bottle behind the nose of his WS6 and the switch wired into the horn. Nobody ever found out he had nitrous until they saw his GF reach behind the fog lights to close the valve one time. I've also seen bottles mounted around the rear axel in a few creative ways...but most of the undercar setups require a lift or jackstands to change out the bottles.

As far as mounting the switches and lines, if you really want hidden, say within the passenger compartment under the carpet or along the D/S tunnel. Most people will check the framerails and obvious places for lines. I'd go in the fender for the solenoids or even under the radiator catch can or anywhere hard to reach/see from the topside of the motor.

Have fun, ;)

JebTonkin

Established Member
UGAcobra said:
I say hide the piss out of it, lol. My friends have come up with some VERY creative setups for street racing. I have seen the bottle in a bag in the passenger front floorboard (had his girlfriend go apeshit about that being her overnight stuff to keep some guy out who tried to look in the bag;)). I've seen a 5lb "oh shit" bottle mounted in the D/S tunnel. On a vert, if you make yours a manual top you can get bottles either behind the rear interior panels, behind the back seat, or under where the top retracts -- just don't put the top down when you've to the bottle in unless you like replacing $300 back windows. I've seen multiple bottles mounted so you tell someone you have nitrous and you'll take the bottle in the trunk out, when the one actually hooked up is right behind the driver's seat under a sweatshirt or something. Most people don't look further after they know there's one. Hell, albeit it was a rediculously stupid place to have it, a friend of mine had a 10lb bottle behind the nose of his WS6 and the switch wired into the horn. Nobody ever found out he had nitrous until they saw his GF reach behind the fog lights to close the valve one time. I've also seen bottles mounted around the rear axel in a few creative ways...but most of the undercar setups require a lift or jackstands to change out the bottles.

As far as mounting the switches and lines, if you really want hidden, say within the passenger compartment under the carpet or along the D/S tunnel. Most people will check the framerails and obvious places for lines. I'd go in the fender for the solenoids or even under the radiator catch can or anywhere hard to reach/see from the topside of the motor.

Have fun, ;)
These are some really good ideas. Any pics? Oh and about the gym bag thing, could I do that in the trunk? Why is it not safe?

UGAcobra

Established Member
JebTonkin said:
These are some really good ideas. Any pics? Oh and about the gym bag thing, could I do that in the trunk? Why is it not safe?

Unfortunately I don't have any pics....

I know alot of people don't like having the bottles in the car or in weird places for the one in a (insert your favorite big number here) chance that something go wrong with the bottle. I like to live a bit more on the edge and take my chances...the reason's I would say are against the bottle in the bag and mounting the bottle in an exposed place under the car are because of the nitrous bottle being under pressure. If one vents while in the car you might get sprayed with a substance cold enough to cause skin burns. If it explodes (highly unlikely) it has the potential to rip the car apart. If the bottle is mounted in a place where road debris or an accident may punture the bottle while its contents are under pressure it has the potential to come apart with amazing force. If you do the bottle in a bag (or other method where it isn't mounted in brackets to the car) and you get in an accident you now have a 40lb projectile flying around in the car with you....that might hurt.

Now, as far as doing the bottle in a bag in the trunk, go for it...it may just be a little harder to play off if people have heard of them before...I do, however, reccomend going to buy a different bag than the one comes with the kit. Go blow the extra dough at wal-mart and get a bag that isn't easily recognizeable like the all-black one that comes with most kits.

Oh, I almost forgot....you can get a 10lb nitrous bottle into the space for the heater core if you can live without the heater :rockon:

SVECobraR

Established Member
lol, those are some crazy ideas. Reminds me of the pictures posted on here of people sneeking across the border in the dashboard and bumpers.

thrillious

Established Member
I had the bottle hidden in my camaro, it was great yea a few people would hear about it but then i would be like find it and open the trunk and the engine bay and that would clear it all up so it was sweet, Use black lume for the lines, its the stuff they use to come eletric wire works great doesnt look out of place or anything.

Not sure where you could hid the bottle, i hid mine where the spare tire was in the camaro but dont think there is enough room in a cobra for that.

-Kevin

UGAcobra

Established Member
thrillious said:
I had the bottle hidden in my camaro, it was great yea a few people would hear about it but then i would be like find it and open the trunk and the engine bay and that would clear it all up so it was sweet, Use black lume for the lines, its the stuff they use to come eletric wire works great doesnt look out of place or anything.

Not sure where you could hid the bottle, i hid mine where the spare tire was in the camaro but dont think there is enough room in a cobra for that.

-Kevin

I think everyone with a camaro puts their bottle there, lol. Here's a tip for the ls1 crew; you can go from there, through the car, into the engine bay on the passenger side, around to the front of the car, follow along the radiator support and bottom side of the coolant hose and come up to mount the solenoids underneath the flimsy peice of plasic thats down below the airbox. Then run your jets up through the bottom of the airbox and actually through the airfilter --- not many people will ever find that unless they find the bottle. I think we made as much money betting people $20 they couldn't find the lines in the engine bay as we did racing the car.

UGAcobra

Established Member
Also, I just thought of this when working on my convertible top assembly a couple weeks ago, anyone know if the 'vert trunk liner will fit into a coupe easily? I know you would have a void big enough to hide a bottle between the back seats and the trunk liner...but it may be obvious b/c of how small the trunk would look or if you tried to put the rear seats down? Just a thought...

JebTonkin

Established Member
What about mounting the nottle normal in the trunk and then cutting out the bottom of a gym bag and putting it over it?

UGAcobra

Established Member
JebTonkin said:
What about mounting the nottle normal in the trunk and then cutting out the bottom of a gym bag and putting it over it?

Sure, that would work fine, just make sure to hide all of your solenoids and switches (under the dash by the driverside fuse box works well). The bottle in a bag kits contain all of the associated stuff with the bag...you actually plug a thing into a 12v powersource to power everything. It is a more temporary kit than other nitrous systems. Its designed to be taken in and out with the only trace evidence being the line running to the intake.

Users who are viewing this thread