High end sputtering?

arods93snake

1 of 185
Established Member
I a very mild 75K 1994 Gen 1 with the following mods:

Full Bassani stainless exhaust (Header to pipes) with no cats.
Pulleys, MSD Billet distributor, MSD 6AL, MSD Blaster coil, FRPP 9mm wires w/NGK Platinum’s, Eibach suspension with Bilstiens on the corners, Auburn diff with T/A girdle, B&M Shift kit with aluminum Deep pan, K&N Cold Air intake and PA Performance 130amp alt.

The problem is when I am at highway speeds and stab it, she sputters, sometimes bad. She does it now and then but I am cautious when she does because I don’t want to kill anything. Also she now then won’t start after normal running or just going down the street and back. She will turn and turn but nothing. I open the hood play around with the wires, coil, etc, to no effect. Then after the hiatus she will start like normal. Weird. Could my computer be going out? Possibly not sending the signals to the injectors or something? I don’t know were to start or what to address. I thought is was a fuel problem and put a new fuel filter and checked fuel pressure which is at 38psi at idle. I am going to upgrade to a Mass Air system but it is not within my budget yet. Any help out there? :??:

Stephen93Cobra

1993 SVT Cobra
Established Member
Your MSD 6AL box is going out! My buddy's 93 GT Mustang was doing the same exact thing, turned out it was the MSD 6AL box.

charged351

Established Member
My 93L use to shut off in cold weather and have occaissonal hard starting when it was cold. The shutting off seemed to go away after I replaced the starter solenoid. Not sure if it was related or not, but it doesn' t do it anymore. As for your sputtering, check you timing. If it is advanced to 14*btdc it will start to sputter, or detonate.

cmperfmnce

Established Member
Alex

This is Carlos.
Get rid of the platinum plugs with the MSD. Run NGK copper plugs or Motorcraft and gap them according to the instructions that came with the MSD. Should be 30 or 35. On that MSD Distributor, do you have the correct gear on it. You should have a cast gear on it if you still have the stock L cam. A steel gear will eat the gear on the cam.

Users who are viewing this thread