high flow cat sound change?

Parkin Lot Pmpn

Established Member
Does anyone know if adding high flow cats will improve sound and power. I want a louder tone but i want to keep cats. Anyone went from oem to aftermarket and notice sound change? I know delteing cats are loud but wonder if high flow will change the sound.

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
you should pick up some power...but dont expect anything super drastic.
As for sound itll get louder...much louder than stock. But it would also depend on what type of catback exhaust you got too.

MJG

Established Member
I have the Magnaflow Catback currently. Next week I will be cutting out all my cats and just welding in 2 Magnaflow Hiflow cats, figure it should sound better and should pick up a few ponies. Will post vid before and after.

uncooked

Established Member
I went from the 4 stockers to 2 high flows. It got twice as loud :coolman:

I now recently ditched the high flows for offroad mids. Got twice as loud yet again. :rockon:

SADF

Established Member
I have a Maggy catback and put in offroad mids and its as big a difference in sound from when I first went to a catback from stock.

MJG

Established Member
I went from the 4 stockers to 2 high flows. It got twice as loud :coolman:

I now recently ditched the high flows for offroad mids. Got twice as loud yet again. :rockon:

Pass emissions when swapping from the 4 to the 2 hi flows?
I know you BC boys have it a little tougher than us Ontario guys, but this year the environmentalist cops wil be out to get us.

uncooked

Established Member
Pass emissions when swapping from the 4 to the 2 hi flows?
I know you BC boys have it a little tougher than us Ontario guys, but this year the environmentalist cops wil be out to get us.

Yup flew threw aircare with the highflows. Actually didnt touch anything with the rear 02's and no codes for the 7 - 8 months they were in !

Blew one of the highflows racing a M3 one night on the freeway and decided to just delete them.

It is definetely LOUD now though haha

This does not do justice to how loud it is in person!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u98lKOEcP8w&feature=channel"]YouTube - Svt Lightning Garage Exhaust[/ame]

SADF

Established Member
anyone point me in the direction of a nice set of high flow cats?

You can always SEARCH (I found 99% of the stuff I wanted on this search engine alone, everything you could ask has been beaten), but for the hell of it, back when I remember Ebay having good deals on the stainless Magnaflow hi flow cats. I say just delete the rear catted midpipes all together and replace with straight. I did this after seeing a member on another L forum write a how too of how he literally bought two pieces of the universal pipe on aisle five at Autozone and welded them in...they happened to be perfect size. I bought the pipe and went to my buddies muffler shop where he decided to use his own shit, but either, I have catless midpipes installed for a bill. The sound is better then hi flow I think, but they are close, but **** cats when this will obviously flow better. I still have precats and my Check Engine Light NEVER CAME ON just like on the v6 Stang I had with headers, offroad h-pipe, and flowmasters never saw a CEL. Because its a newer vehicle the only real test Emissions follows is to check OBD II and a couple of other little things. No Checky Engine, no problem. Just for the hell of it I had Rick turn off my rear 02's when he tuned me, but everyone does that.

z28Eater

Hemi's Worst Nightmare
Established Member
i see the 2.5 stainless magnaflows on ebay for like 65 shipped, not too bad of a deal.

OldTimer

An Old Drag Racer
Established Member
I have the full Bassani setup (shorties, hi-flows, X-pipe, Bassani SS catback) and it's loud but tolerable. Most MA inspection stations will not even inspect my truck saying its too loud, but they are paranoid. I wound up going to my local dealer, because they specialize in SVT vehicles and Mustangs (they have seven Mustangs on the floor including Saleen, Roush, and Shelby... no other vehicles!). That's Sarat Ford in Agawam, MA in case anyone is interested.

BTW, I can't keep the truck running in my garage for more than a couple of minutes at best... the CO2 alarm goes off throughout the house:cryying: and my wife goes nuts because the alarm plays a honker then a vocal warning to leave the house!:rolling:

MJG

Established Member
To bring up this thread, because I was speaking of doing it....
Last night I ended up cutting out the 4 stock cats and welding in 2 Magnaflow high flows.
No codes or anything, I was shocked at the difference. It is not deafening loud or annoying, very nice at throttle and suttle at idle.
I will take a vid tonight, unfortunately I didn't manage to get a before one, D'oh!

Users who are viewing this thread