High idle speed !!??

tommy s

Established Member
Started last week my whipple equiped gt500 when driving developed a high idle speed , even when I press the clutch is revs 1500-3000!! I shut the car off and restart it right away and it goes away !!??????

91svtbird

Established Member
Started last week my whipple equiped gt500 when driving developed a high idle speed , even when I press the clutch is revs 1500-3000!! I shut the car off and restart it right away and it goes away !!??????

Most likely a tune related issue. Need more details about the combo and the tuner because of the methods some tuners use to tune actually cause these kinds of problems. That isn't to say it couldn't be mechanical either.

tommy s

Established Member
You know what, as crazy as it sounds I think I over thighten the inlet tube to the throtle body causing a kinda distortion and probably letting air in ??!! I don't understand why shutting the engine off and restarting it right away cured the probleme??!! The tune is a Jon Lund , and worked great till I removed the throttle body inlet tube to cleane the oil in the throttle body ! ( I know I'm ordering a catch can ) Thanks 4 the quick replie

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
I just installed a new Kenne Bell 2.8 LC and had the same issue. I have to thank WiseGuy for fix from BAP.

Turn on the key and wait for the dash lights to go out (the ones that do). Then slowly push the gas pedal all the way to the floor and release it. Then turn off the key and start the car. It did some kind of recalibration and cleared up my issue which was going on for a whole day.

Let me know if it works for you too.

Ben

Last edited:

91svtbird

Established Member
You know what, as crazy as it sounds I think I over thighten the inlet tube to the throtle body causing a kinda distortion and probably letting air in ??!! I don't understand why shutting the engine off and restarting it right away cured the probleme??!! The tune is a Jon Lund , and worked great till I removed the throttle body inlet tube to cleane the oil in the throttle body ! ( I know I'm ordering a catch can ) Thanks 4 the quick replie

I have seen this happen before specifically on a one of those carbon fiber inlet tubes where the clamp was over tightened and caused distortion in the tube itself resulting in slight leak at times causing a random failsafe. The fix was to replace the damanged tube.

Users who are viewing this thread