High idling rpm just after startup

Arnor 97 Cobra

Established Member
My Cobra has the tendence to idle up to 2000 rpm at start and just after start recently. But as she heats up she settles down. I heard one time about a diaphram that could get stiff or stuck over the course of time which might cause this. But I am not clear what exactly the problem might by or where this diaphram might be. Anyone experienced this and has a handy solution?

98cobrancali

the mustang man
Established Member
your could try to clean the idle air control vavle, it is on the front of the upper intake on the drivers side, use carb cleaner and spray it out real good

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Originally posted by 98cobrancali
your could try to clean the idle air control vavle, it is on the front of the upper intake on the drivers side, use carb cleaner and spray it out real good

Good info.

It might just be the car doing the emissions cleanup idle. It will idle higher like that in order to raise the exhaust temp and clean the emissions some. If your car is older and has the stock cats they might not be as effective as they once were due to buildup. This is just a small possibility though. I think 98cobrancali hit it more accurately. Just a thought on the outside chance his suggestion doesn't help.

Users who are viewing this thread