High revs at startup

afcobra01

Established Member
I have a question about my 01 cobra that I just bought. Upon first start up of the day, the rpms go to almost 2500 then settle back down to around 1200 for a normal warm up and then go to around 800. This is my first cobra so I wondered if this was normal. Stock except for cai, cat back and performance tune. Runs great other wise. No surging when driving ect.. Thanks for the help.

jacker1991

Established Member
You mean that it hits 2.5k RPMs when you start it up or that it stays there for a few seconds?

afcobra01

Established Member
Thanks for the reply. Just thought that it seemed high but yeah it goes back down right away. Not a lot of oil up in there at that time. Love the car. Lots of get up and go. 4.10 in the rear. Still irs. Ride is really good.

Cobra_GATA

Established Member
I had the same question as well. Glad it is normal

However, when I have the AC running, the car surges like crazy. How do i address that?

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

Last edited:

MrSteve

Established Member
welcome guys, make sure you post some pics somewhere for us to look at.

Cobra_GATA, does it surge at idle or while driving?

jacker1991

Established Member
Idle and it seems while driving as well.

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

You might need to refill your AC(R134-a), check for leaks while you are at it. Make sure that the AC compressor is working how it should after you refill your coolant if needed. I had a leak in my system and had the same problem as you. Since I was low on freon my compressor would go on/off every few seconds making the car surge every time it would go on/off. I am a bit tired so I hope you can understand what I am trying to say. Will check again tomorrow in case I need to clarify.

Mike out! :coolman:

afcobra01

Established Member
Cobra Gata, nice looking car. I will try to post some pictures soon. Mine is Zinc yellow and a convertible. Good luck with the AC system. Mine operates well. Still not crazy about the high RPMs at startup. I guess I will have to live with it.

Users who are viewing this thread