high RPM shift problems

spleen04

Tooty Fn Fruity
Established Member
This ,maybe covered in a few posts in this area but I have a b*tch of a time getting my car to shift into third on the track. Its almost like it hits a wall. I have a 2.80 pulley and a few other mods but the car is not running insane hp or anything like that. I have 23k miles on it and about 30 passes on the track. The are shifts fine until the rpm's get up high that it really is tough to get in gear. Due to this I am having a hell of a time finding a solid 1/4 mile time.

Any ideas? I know a few other people have this problem and seem to change the quadrant etc... how does this help? I have a pro 5.0 in the car as well..

Any insight would be great.

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
You need to adjust your clutch. Best thing to do is get an aftermarket clutch quad/firewall adjuster. You need the pedal to engage a bit higher off the ground it seems, and the only way to do that correctly is to get those parts. You can for the meantime......
Go under the dash. Over the gas pedal you will see a white half of a gear, which is the stock clutch quad. Follow the teeth of that, and you will see a smaller white gear, with only a few teeth. Hold that little gear, and push up on the clutch pedal. You will hear a few clicks (three clicks should be enough) That should do it. The reason this is only a bandaid is that it will skip back down to its original position due to the teeth being plastic...they just cant handle the hard stomping motion when shifting hard.
No tools needed, just a flash light, and two minutes of your time...give it a shot.

hurtindude

Banned
mike79 said:
You need to adjust your clutch. Best thing to do is get an aftermarket clutch quad/firewall adjuster. You need the pedal to engage a bit higher off the ground it seems, and the only way to do that correctly is to get those parts. You can for the meantime......
Go under the dash. Over the gas pedal you will see a white half of a gear, which is the stock clutch quad. Follow the teeth of that, and you will see a smaller white gear, with only a few teeth. Hold that little gear, and push up on the clutch pedal. You will hear a few clicks (three clicks should be enough) That should do it. The reason this is only a bandaid is that it will skip back down to its original position due to the teeth being plastic...they just cant handle the hard stomping motion when shifting hard.
No tools needed, just a flash light, and two minutes of your time...give it a shot.

i don't know if that would help him, but hell for the time it takes it is worth the try. I think it is more synchros only because is having the problem with only a single gear, and not all gears. this tends to make me lean towards synchros as opposed to the clutch if all other gears are fine.

spleen04

Tooty Fn Fruity
Established Member
As well all know the clutch does get tight in high rpm I just think with the push to third it is the easiest to notice. Third is the biggest problem, but I think im going to purchase the Fiore quadrant/firewall adjuster. Many people seem pretty happy with it and for under a 100 bucs its worth a shot.

I am going to try adjusting the stock stuff at my lunch today and see where we can go from there as well.

Thanks a lot for the heads up guys, Hopefully we are not talking synchros already...

nothingelse

03SilverSnake
Established Member
I had the same problem when I went to the track I think I could have run better than a 12.4 at 113 especially the time that I got a 1.7 60ft but could not get the damn car into 2nd or 3rd gear. The 100 degree heat and 15 mph head wind was not helping either. I am gonna try this too see if it helps thanks for the info guys.

striker_29

One Man Gang
Established Member
The Fiore fw adjuster and quadrant will fix you up. Get the ldc clutch spring too for 15 bucks and call it a day. Do these and you will shift like butter.

SlowImport

Established Member
same issues here!

I am having the same issues. The car is hard to shift fast unless you are not moving at all. It doesnt matter what gear you are shifting to or from either.

I thought it was just when I would rip on it, so I did a little testing tonight. Tonight I went out and ran it up to 6,000 rpms just cruising. I didnt give any boost and just acting as I was driving ms daisy but just not shifting. as soon as the car started to get up in the higher rpm's it was hard as hell going to a different to the next gear.

When I say its hard to shift I mean it just feels like it just hits a wall. It doesnt grind or anything. When I rip on it, I have noticed it also feels like it just wants to stay in a gear and not come out either.

My clutch setup is as follows: Spec stage 2, Spec Alluminum flywheel, D&D quad, and D&D fw adjuster.

Anyone have any ideas as to what my problem might be?

:shrug: ,
Josh

rmgtc01

Established Member
The clutch quadrant and adjuster help. I had the same thing and it turned out to be the Throw-Out-Bearing Retainer Sleeve, and the TOB it self. It was not allowing the transmission to fully disengage in order to shift b/c it was faulty and was starting to crack in one place. Good thing I caught it before it fell apart. It was this way the majority of the time I had the car until I got it replaced. Then with the aftermarket part (new sleeve, TOB, quadrant, adj.) it shifted amazingly 100% of the time during WOT as well.
Ford has an updated one to fix this issue, but I recommend the aftermarket one from Lamotta Perf. or anywhere else.

Users who are viewing this thread