Higher rpm Misfire anyone?

Brands5.0

Established Member
Today merging on to the highway pulling second gear to about 6k I noticed a stutter it feels like a ignition coil. Part throttle and cursing are fine I just feel it at higher rpms. I pulled my plugs today at lunch and its not a plug. Just wanna run this buy you guys if I unplug each coil and injector one at a time that should lead me to a bad coil if I have one right? What else could it be anyone experience anything like it. And no codas btw

03MUSCLE

03 MUSCLE
Established Member
Can you say rev limiter. I mean we've all done it just set the rev limiter alarm buzzer at 5900rpms...so by the time you here it then its time to shift without hitting the redline limiter.:burnout::uh oh::idea:

WP64

I Couldn't Care Less...
Established Member
It could be one of the eight coils, but w/o a fault code it's going to be hard to locate which one isn't working right.

But, as the posts above said, make sure it's not the rev. limiter.

I had a similar problem with a 5.4 2-valve motor, but it would misfire under load above 3500 rpm, if you backed off the gas it would stop misfiring and would cruise just fine, jump on it and drop to 2nd (auto trans) it would start misfiring. Finally got the code that led me to the bad coil, anyone know why that is :shrug: I would think the code would come up quickly with a bad coil, maybe because it wasn't completely bad and only missed under load???

Brands5.0

Established Member
No its not the rev limiter i have 37k miles on my car and know what the limiter feels like. Its 100% some kind of miss the car will still pull. I havent done any new mods. I guess this weekend ill just pull each coil one by one and see if i can pin point if one is bad

mullens

Established Member
Can you say rev limiter. I mean we've all done it just set the rev limiter alarm buzzer at 5900rpms...so by the time you here it then its time to shift without hitting the redline limiter.:burnout::uh oh::idea:
That's what I did..good tip. Yes, definitley sounds like the RL.

Users who are viewing this thread