Highest HP on 93 octane only

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
Hey guys, just like that title says: What's the highest HP people have been able to run on 93oct pump gas only? Preferably with a stock spec motor (don't mind built motors included as long as it's stock C.R. and cams and no head work).

I want to build my bottom end and run more boost on my TVS but I'm afraid I am knocking on the door of as much power as I can make on 93 octane. I've never been dyno'd but I'm running 9.5-10psi of boost using the 82mm pulley and JLT intake.

Thanks

draxxus131

Established Member
No one knows, people are still posting "record-breaking" dyno numbers on a stock vehicle. If you want to build your bottom end, then why are you asking? I'm curious is all.

I've seen 800hp on pump gas, hell apparently there is someone floating around on here with 1,000hp on pump gas.

draxxus131

Established Member
Running 93 octane in any engine with forced induction will be fine, it all comes down to the tuning. So get in gear and fine a dyno tuner, it will make your life that much easier.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
No one knows, people are still posting "record-breaking" dyno numbers on a stock vehicle. If you want to build your bottom end, then why are you asking? I'm curious is all.

I've seen 800hp on pump gas, hell apparently there is someone floating around on here with 1,000hp on pump gas.

The reason I'm asking is this: It seems like most tuners say 600-620 is safe on the stock motor, and if I'm limited to 650hp due to only running 93 octane, then is it worth $5k-$7k to have a built motor put in? A built motor is DEF worth it if you're going to put some torco or race gas in and crank up the boost, but if I'm going to stick with 93 octane, there isn't much power to be gained (just longevity).

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
600-620 isn't an octane limitation. It's a limitation of the rods and pistons. If you build the bottom end, you can throw plenty of boost at these motors. As previously stated a quite few folks with 800, 1,000+ That said, alot of guys use e85 at that point for the added detonation resistance. Essentially, if you're planning on putting down anymore than 1,000 to the wheels, The block becomes the weakest point, and I would suggest getting it sleeved.

Regardless, I would strongly suggest you reach out to VMP or any other reputable tuner, discuss your goals and they'll point you in the right direction. My best recommendation, if you plan on pushing over 600 HP through a stock motor. Have the funds ready for a built motor, because it's not not so much "IF" it's "WHEN" Some guys get 30k miles, some guys get 2k miles :shrug:

Last edited:

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
I know its the internals of the stock motor that limits you at 600-620, I guess what I'm saying is that its easier to spend $5k-$7k on a built motor if you're gaining power AND reliability. But if I'm staying with 93octane only, I will be just gaining reliability. Or, maybe I'll just give in and run a Torco tune at the track ;-)

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Someone correct me if I'm worng, but these cars can make more power on pump gas but are limited to the strength of the internals?

Like the GT500's, could these cars run 700+ on pump with some forged internals?

Eric@jpc

Established Member
Someone correct me if I'm worng, but these cars can make more power on pump gas but are limited to the strength of the internals?

Like the GT500's, could these cars run 700+ on pump with some forged internals?

GT500 is a bigger engine

if any one wants to make more then say 700 with a coyote on pump your playing with fire. thats my opinion

Bigger the engine the more power you can make on pump

mhyjek

Established Member
I know its the internals of the stock motor that limits you at 600-620, I guess what I'm saying is that its easier to spend $5k-$7k on a built motor if you're gaining power AND reliability. But if I'm staying with 93octane only, I will be just gaining reliability. Or, maybe I'll just give in and run a Torco tune at the track ;-)
I think you are confused but when you build the bottom end you can run more boost on 93 octane as long as the fuel is really 93 octane and you will make more power. Now if you push more boost and have poor fuel doesn't matter detonation will kill the motor regardless. Thats why people will run race gas because better quality control and more octane safer margin of error plus allow more timing advanced allowed. So even if you keep it at 600 on stock bottom end if you run bad gas and hammer on it= boom. good fuel and quality tune will keep the motor healthy built bottom end or stock keeping hp and tq within parameters of each.

NickSezz

Established Member
GT500 is a bigger engine

if any one wants to make more then say 700 with a coyote on pump your playing with fire. thats my opinion

Bigger the engine the more power you can make on pump

+1 We will make about 800whp on the GT500s on 93 pump. Yes it wants to make more but that's when we provide a real "race tune" for a higher octane fuel.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
I think you are confused but when you build the bottom end you can run more boost on 93 octane as long as the fuel is really 93 octane and you will make more power. Now if you push more boost and have poor fuel doesn't matter detonation will kill the motor regardless. Thats why people will run race gas because better quality control and more octane safer margin of error plus allow more timing advanced allowed. So even if you keep it at 600 on stock bottom end if you run bad gas and hammer on it= boom. good fuel and quality tune will keep the motor healthy built bottom end or stock keeping hp and tq within parameters of each.

I am not confused at all.... Nick and Eric seem to understand what I'm asking :) Thanks guys!

What that post that you quoted meant was that you really cant run that much more boost with the built motor if you stick with 93 octane, because you are already really close to the limits of max boost/timing before detonation. I don't know how else to explain that, but trust me, I get it...

Last edited:

mhyjek

Established Member
I am not confused at all.... Nick and Eric seem to understand what I'm asking :) Thanks guys!

What that post that you quoted meant was that you really cant run that much more boost with the built motor if you stick with 93 octane, because you are already really close to the limits of max boost/timing before detonation. I don't know how else to explain that, but trust me, I get it...
Detonation can still happen at 600 hp with poor fuel and your stock motor will go boom! So I wouldn't feel all warm and fuzzy inside with your setup either. I run a fuel catalyst and methanol to keep my bottom end together, I know even with that if my meth pump breaks still SOL but run a AIS with fail safe and indicator lights. I also have a built motor paid for being built with 10:1 compression for margin of safety on pump gas and will have a race gas tune for when I want to go all out! If you want to play you have to pay and with a TVS setup if your bottom takes a dump your blower will likely need to be rebuilt. Not trying to rain on your parade but FI and 11:1 you are in danger zone with pump gas...

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
Detonation can still happen at 600 hp with poor fuel and your stock motor will go boom! So I wouldn't feel all warm and fuzzy inside with your setup either. I run a fuel catalyst and methanol to keep my bottom end together, I know even with that if my meth pump breaks still SOL but run a AIS with fail safe and indicator lights. I also have a built motor paid for being built with 10:1 compression for margin of safety on pump gas and will have a race gas tune for when I want to go all out! If you want to play you have to pay and with a TVS setup if your bottom takes a dump your blower will likely need to be rebuilt. Not trying to rain on your parade but FI and 11:1 you are in danger zone with pump gas...

I understand what you're saying, but you're answering a question I'm not asking. I know that bad gas can blow ANY motor, and running the stock motor at it's limits is dangerous no matter what, the point of this thread was to find out if more boost can be run on 93oct at the stock compression ratio to make more power. That's what the title means, how much power can be made in our motors at stock C.R. with 93 octane only.

mhyjek

Established Member
I understand what you're saying, but you're answering a question I'm not asking. I know that bad gas can blow ANY motor, and running the stock motor at it's limits is dangerous no matter what, the point of this thread was to find out if more boost can be run on 93oct at the stock compression ratio to make more power. That's what the title means, how much power can be made in our motors at stock C.R. with 93 octane only.
Well 700 on 91 here: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1006346-AED-Supertime-Pump-Tune-Craziness

Users who are viewing this thread