highway vibration....car is 3 weeks old

Black'03GT

Established Member
My 04 Cobra is 3 weeks old and I have already noticed a slight vibration while driving down the highway. So, I called to dealer to see if I could get my tires balanced and see if that fixed the problem. Cheap, simple solution if it works. Well the service rep said "It isn't the tires, it's the differential. We've had several of these cars come in here with a vibration problem and we just replaced the differential" So he automatically assumes it's the differential without even looking at the car. So, should I schedule an appointment to have my diff replaced?:rolling: :rollseyes :cuss:

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Black'03GT
My 04 Cobra is 3 weeks old and I have already noticed a slight vibration while driving down the highway. So, I called to dealer to see if I could get my tires balanced and see if that fixed the problem. Cheap, simple solution if it works. Well the service rep said "It isn't the tires, it's the differential. We've had several of these cars come in here with a vibration problem and we just replaced the differential" So he automatically assumes it's the differential without even looking at the car. So, should I schedule an appointment to have my diff replaced?:rolling: :rollseyes :cuss:

If I were you, I would make sure they have the part IN THE STORE before I gave my car to them. This way, A)your car sits on a lot for a minimum amount of time, B)they don't have the excuse "I'm waiting on a part", and C)you have to part with your car for the least amount of time.

I had my car in the shop for 2 weeks for a TOB replacement!! That should have been a 2-3 hour job MAX, assuming the parts were in the store already.

Bottom line, tell them to check it out and make sure that there IS something wrong with the differential, and if so EXACTLY what in writing.

Then, if there is a problem that requires parts they do not have in-store, tell them to put the car back together, order the part, and schedule you an appointment for when they think the part will be in. Don't let them feed you some line like "The car's already apart and it will only take a few days to get the part in." DON'T DO IT! It will turn into weeks!

I think what I'm suggesting is a perfectly valid way to do it. Maybe that's just me though.

That's how I'd do it and am GOING to do it from now on when it comes to Ford warranty work/service! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

03reptile

Established Member
1. Bring the car in and see if a tech will ride with you so you can duplicate the problem for him.
2. If he says its definitely the differintial, have them order same for you and wait until it arrives to bring it in for the swap.
3. It may just be tires need balancing, a four wheel alignment or both. They may opt to try that before swapping your rear.

I think that would be your best course.

mjtpolice76

Established Member
I had a bad vibe they balanced the tires an rotated them. everything is fine now.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Could be the driveshaft, too. Ford replaced mine for the 80mph vibe and it helped somewhat. They have to find exactly which part is causing the problem before they can fix it. If they say differential, let them replace it and see what happens. If that doesn't work, then you can see about tires and driveshaft. I would think that they would have to have a tech inspect and test drive before they start diagnosing... :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread