History of the Mustang Cobra

JAYMONEY

Established Member
I know alot of the people on this site know the history of the Mustang. But I'll bet some younger Cobra owners think the Mustang Cobra was introduced in 1993. So here is a little history lesson of the Mustang Cobra.
Anybody know what the first Mustang Cobra looked like..............Here it is!!
The 1975 Mustang Cobra

1976-77

King Cobra

And for you young fellas who think your Terminator was the first F/I Cobra............think again :nono:
1979 Mustang Cobra w/turbo'ed 4 cyl.........also available w/ 302 V-8

She's a hottie!! LOL!! :lol1:

[URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG]http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/6622/cobra3uw.jpg

Last edited:

CobraKai

Established Member
that is so awesome! I remember Farrah Fawcett rolling in one of those in Charlies Angels!!!!

Thanks for the flashback!!!!! :beer:

JAYMONEY

Established Member
CobraKai said:
that is so awesome! I remember Farrah Fawcett rolling in one of those in Charlies Angels!!!!

Thanks for the flashback!!!!! :beer:
I remember that too. A couple months ago, while I was channel surfing, I came across an old episode of Charlies Angels. I only watched a couple of minutes :rollseyes , but when I saw that Cobra I started to chuckle. It was just funny to see that thing in a "high speed" chase. :lol:

JAYMONEY

Established Member
Also, don't blame Carrol Shelby for changing the "Cobra" name to the GT-500. Ford has been waiting to do this for years. After Shelby left Ford, in 1970, Ford made an attempt, in 1984, to bring the GT-350 name back. When they did, Shelby sued Ford because he had the rights to the "GT-350" and "GT-500" names. Shelby probably sued to take revenge on Ford for screwing him out of the "Cobra" name.

CobraKai

Established Member
My buddy had one of those gt 350's back in the day. We had a lot of fun racing around with the top down. My 86 gt hardtop could smoke him though! Gotta love the red interior...

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
Now you should PO the Mach 1 owners and bring up the '75 mach 1 with the 2.8L V6 :thumbsup:
Mach1.jpg

Last edited:

JAYMONEY

Established Member
Red99mustangman said:
Im sure almost everyone on here knows those cars, and don't want to be reminded that they were the first cobras....... :(
The sad thing is, some people actually think the first Cobra was the '93. I know the majority of the people know about the 1st Cobras, but I thought I'd give a history lesson for those who don't. I guess I'm just bored. :bored:

GotGrunt

Established Member
JAYMONEY said:
The sad thing is, some people actually think the first Cobra was the '93. I know the majority of the people know about the 1st Cobras, but I thought I'd give a history lesson for those who don't. I guess I'm just bored. :bored:
The SVT Cobras started in 1993. There have been many "Cobras" in the past though...

NotoriousJaegs

~There Goes My Hero~
Established Member
Red99mustangman said:
Im sure almost everyone on here knows those cars, and don't want to be reminded that they were the first cobras....... :(
I'm with you on this one! I'm happy that they found a way to keep the Stang alive during the 70's, but as an Auto enthusiast, when I see a Mustang II, I run in the opposite direction.

I'm sure it might seem arrogant, but I taste bile when I imagine those headlights (like so many other things from the 70's), maybe it's a conditioned response :-D ?

Users who are viewing this thread