Hit the track...have 2nd gear lockout problem

venumus93

Established Member
Hey-

I went to Orlando Speedworld today to try to get some runs in on a "Funday Sunday" track event. First run I left traction control on and launched easy for a 2.127 60' 13.141 ET at 111.81MPH. I chirped second and third gears, and felt a slight hesitation right after each chirp. Thinking it was the TC pulling timing, I ran next run with TC off, launched a little harder, pulled a 2.001 60', pulled for Second gear and it felt like a lead pipe was in the way. I had the clutch all the way to the floor but it just wouldn't go into 2nd until my car slowed significantly. I aborted the run and limped the rest of the way to the first turnoff.

Took a break to get a soda with my son in the stands and watched other cars for a while. I went back out for a final run an hour later and tried to shift before the revs got too high (thinking the over-revving to 6500-7K RPMs was affecting the shifting) so I pulled for Second gear at 5800-6000 RPMs, and had same problem. I let clutch out fully, then pushed back in and grabbed Second, rolled down track with 2.116 60', 13.492 ET at 111.85MPH.

Needless to say I'm disappointed in the times, but even more concerned with WTF happened with my Second gear.

Anyone esle ever have this problem? If so, how do I fix it?

Car feels great on the street and I have been able to put it sideways grabbing Second gear from time to time...so I am not sure what is going on.

Thanks for any advice.
-Sean

Sc0tty2h0ttie

AKA Scotty2hottie
Established Member
I have skip shift turned off in my tune, then hold the brake and the t/c button for 5 secs, traction control and advance track will be off.

Did 7500 rpm launches last week and never had a problem.

Try turning advance track off and getting a tune with skip shift off, maybe...

Do u power shift or speed shift? Could be stock pos clutch not fully disengaging.

venumus93

Established Member
I have skip shift turned off in my tune, then hold the brake and the t/c button for 5 secs, traction control and advance track will be off.

Did 7500 rpm launches last week and never had a problem.

Try turning advance track off and getting a tune with skip shift off, maybe...

Do u power shift or speed shift? Could be stock pos clutch not fully disengaging.

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention my BAMA tune has the skip shift eliminated (so much nicer to drive on the street without that POS feature!) so I am thinking it has someting to do with the "stock POS clutch"....just dont know if someone more technical can help explain. When I shift, I lift off the throttle some as I push the clutch in....speed shifting I guess..??

Sc0tty2h0ttie

AKA Scotty2hottie
Established Member
Yeah, that is speed shifting.

You could try to bleed the clutch line a little better. They don't have a bleed screw so u have to take a vacuum on the master cylinder. Seal the m/c and vacuum a caliper but never let it get to low to uncover the lines. Pump the clutch once in awhile 10 times or so.

Reason I say that is because if any air is in there it will not want to disengage correctly. That is something cheap to try first. Just a bottle of dot 3. ;)

brady_f

Established Member
Mine did the same shit......super annoying. Took it in to the dealer and they claimed they could not replicate it. Told me to come back and pick it up because it was "fine."

Not really sure what direction to go now? I was thinking maybe a barton bracket/shifter would help with the deflection and let me get into gear a little easier, but I'm not sure if it would even make a difference now.

venumus93

Established Member
Mine did the same shit......super annoying. Took it in to the dealer and they claimed they could not replicate it. Told me to come back and pick it up because it was "fine."

Not really sure what direction to go now? I was thinking maybe a barton bracket/shifter would help with the deflection and let me get into gear a little easier, but I'm not sure if it would even make a difference now.

Hmmm....well, sorry to say it, but I'm gald someone else had the same thing happen...so maybe it isn't just my crappy driving ability haha..;-)

Going to try with AdvanceTrack off and some different shifting techniques and see what happens. Maybe an MGW shifter when they come out...

brady_f

Established Member
My 1-2 shift feels like CRAP at anything above 3500 it seems like. Almost feels like worn synchros and my car doesnt even have 1000 miles on it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread