hmmm throwout bearing bad?

whitefiveo

Established Member
well i went out to the cobra, go in and started and it... it is was screetching horribly loud, was in the garage it was so loud it was hurting my ears... also i could smell like metal burning, and could see some smoke coming out from underneath the car...

so, if it in neutral with the clutch let out, it doesn't make the sound, the only time it squeels like that is when its in a gear and the clutch is pushed in, that is the throwout bearing correct?

or is this the pilot bearing?

Last edited:

ryan97cobra

Thanks, I Workout
Established Member
The TOB will make noise when the clutch is engaged, meaning if the pedal is depressed it will not make the noise. My TOB squeals in the mornings, and goes completely away if i push the clutch in. It also goes away after the car warms up just a tad.

I have no idea what that noise is, could be the pilot bearing but i don't think its the TOB.

whitefiveo

Established Member
will start tearing it down tomorrow, cant wait to see what the bearing looks like after the horrible noise it was making and all the smoke hehehe

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
Be sure to check the TOB sleeve on the front of the tranny too. This will be a good time to put in a billet TOB sleeve.

ryan97cobra

Thanks, I Workout
Established Member
Got a link for the billet sleeve?

I couldn't find a link to one that you can purchase online, but the ford part number i found is F6ZZ-7050-C. That's for the steel bearing retainer.

You could call tousley and verify that, which is what im going to do when i replace my clutch etc....

Users who are viewing this thread