Hole in my upper intake

Brian Baskin

Established Member
So here's where all the NLOC guys went :)

Well, to start over on my story. I've had an exhaust leak for awhile, but never knew it. I just heard a tapping noise, but could never find it. JJ (JJ's SVT) took a look at it in his shop this week, and found the hole in the GT-40 upper :( List price $810, dealer price $570, JDM has one for $480, or I can hit up eBay. But, it stinks, as some people know I'm always broke and poor :) Going to attempt to have a friend see if he can weld it and repair it.

Here's the photos:

My intake on my work desk (hiding it from my manager :))
http://w3.cablespeed.com/~bbaskin/intake/IntakeOnDesk.jpg

If you look at the bottom of it, from the direction of the 'box' end, you can see the hole, right in the very middle tubing:
http://w3.cablespeed.com/~bbaskin/intake/Hole-From-BoxEnd1.jpg

There is actually a piece of the tubing that has folded down, and is sticking towards the camera.

Closer shot:
http://w3.cablespeed.com/~bbaskin/intake/Hole-From-BoxEnd2.jpg

Brian Baskin

Established Member
Sent the pictures to my friend, to see if he thinks he can weld it up. If so, he's going to do it on Saturday. If not, then pretty desperately I'll be looking :) So far, found a used beat-up one that'll probably end at about $250 on eBay. If anyone has an extra one they want to get rid of, let me know ... I have a set of rear racing wheels I was going to use, but would be willing to trade them (+ cash) towards another, if this one can't be repaired.

Muddmann

Established Member
what kind of rear racing wheels? i may just know where a GT40 is that cant be used now that a Kenne Bell has taken its plcae :D

Brian Baskin

Established Member
I had considered blocking the EGR, but that would probably throw off the computer, and I'd have to have a chip to disable the EGR. But, I'm thinking, there's so many people out there that will disable the EGR that I can still sell this old one, and someone can plug it up. Then I could at least recoup some of the loss.

Muddman: I bought them from huffentuff95 (Dennis Macho in NJ) about 5 months ago, never used them, couldn't afford tires, but was going to eventually :) They're Western Wheels brand, and required a special type of lug nuts (magnesium? rings a bell for some reason) but I lost the paperwork when I moved. They're 16" tall lip to lip and 9.5" wide, lip to lip, and very light.

http://w3.cablespeed.com/~baskin/Lightning/Wheels/DragWheels.jpg

http://w3.cablespeed.com/~baskin/Lightning/Wheels/DragWheelsWidth.jpg

Btw, I seem to remember you putting the intake up for sale on NLOC a month or so ago, I thought you sold it already?

John O'Donal

Brian,
Did the hole cause a whistle? I have a low pitch whistle that seems to come from near the GT 40 intake and is loud sometimes..and usually occurs around 1000 - 1500 rpm..and changes pitches...sounds like a blower.
A few people told me its the BBK throttlebody and a few said its caused by my 1" Spacer (intake/upper)
I don't know..I checked for vacum leaks and with new gaskets its not a gasket.
The noise seems to be loudest when your right it front of the radiator, and seems quieter when your on the sides of the motor.
any ideas?
thanks John

Muddmann

Established Member
hey John,

not sure about what a hole would do, but i can tell ya that if your spacer was allowing air in, youd prob be all messed up :)

the first time i put a spacer in, the elbow on the underside of the upper still would not clear the tall covers i have. of course i didnt realize this until after startup ;-)

everything was normal, except it started at 2200rpm :uh oh: but the idle kick down took place, which dropped it to 1900. i even got the 100rpm surge effect from 1800-1900 :-?

after further investigation, the elbow was holding the rear pax side of the spacer just a millimeter or so off the lower :gt:

:smmon: ...man i like these smilies

Last edited:

Brian Baskin

Established Member
Definately not a whistle. It started out to be a quiet tapping noise, sounded like a rocker arm. JJ ran brake fluid through the engine to clean out carbon deposits, and that must've opened the hole up more. After that it was a louder ticking noise. I left hit shop, got onto it at 3500rpm, and it suddenly went 10x louder (I think that was when it folded over :))

John O'Donal

Muddman and Brian,
Its a whistle, I understand about your GT40 upper.When I added the 1" spacer it just became alittle louder than before, thats why I think its just the amount of air I am moving, I had one made from Billet aluminum, and nothing is hitting, I have checked all the connections and found NO leaks, though I never hooked up the Elbow your referring too, I just plugged off both holes on GT40 with bolts.(only ran to PCV valve right?)

I do however have the oil crankcase exhaust line running to the throttlebody like its suppost to be.
Its a whistle and I need to track it down. I have all kinds of power its just it makes a strange whistle at 1000-1500 rpm usually at idle and under light/med throttle, at WOT its gone of course..
Like I said, its coming from the spacer area or front of motor, and is quiet when you move to either side of the motor.
I was starting to think about checking the pulleys..It sounds like an air whistle though its weird.
I will post some photos when I get a chance to snap some off.
thans John

Muddmann

Established Member
brian...email me, i found a GT40 upper and lower for 300 clams...upper is polished and lower is painted black.

Users who are viewing this thread