Holley EFI users….need timing table help

CobraSam

Established Member
Hey all, could use some help setting up my timing table. Could you send me your timing table info please? A simple picture would be great. Ported Eaton, about 16lbs boost. Running Holley Terminator X. It would be a huge help as a starting point for me. Thanks

01yellercobra

Established Member
Does it have to be from Holley? I can show my timing table for Megasquirt to give you an idea.

CobraSam

Established Member
If you wouldn’t mind, that could be helpful. I know SCT uses load% and rpm. Holley uses MAP and rpm. Does Megasquirt use the same? If so, then yes it would be very helpful sir, thank you!

CobraSam

Established Member
More specifically, what is you’re timing at idle? The guy who set my tune up has it at 12, but from everything I’ve gathered and also messing with it while idling, it seems like it’s happier at 18-20. I’m new to modular 4.6’s, so I’m not sure. Obviously it’s a lot different than just using a timing light and setting the dizzy to 12-14. Haha
Thanks boys

01yellercobra

Established Member
I have my ignition set up to run off the MAP. The idle timing is around 16-18 depending on the RPM and load. If the engine is happier at 18 degrees run with it.

I thought I had a pic of my timing table on hand but I don't. Next time I'm on my computer I'll snag a pic.

CobraSam

Established Member
Thanks for the info. So with that said I’m now questioning my entire spark table. When you get a chance, could you post a pic of your timing table, please? I attached a pic of my table, lemme know what you think. Thanks

Attachments

• BF4E4D89-0100-4A85-A135-5D5FED27F2C7.jpeg
    BF4E4D89-0100-4A85-A135-5D5FED27F2C7.jpeg
    417.9 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

q6543

Established Member
I'm on E85 with an auto, that said I use a bit more spark at idle 20* give or take.
And I ramp timing in to max * quicker

Your table looks really good for E85 and race gas.
Not for 93 though 17* @ 20lbs on 93 could end bad.
Fuel hasn't been brought up, so what are you running?

CobraSam

Established Member
Thanks for your response, big help!
Running 93 pump gas and car only makes 16lbs boost. Only a ported Eaton.
I know my timing table isn’t right. Car just doesn’t seem right. Problem is, I’m new to the mod 4.6L and tuning.
Any help getting this timing table squared away would be much appreciated!

q6543

Established Member
Right, 1st you need to verify that 30* out of boost is safe max timing for your car on 93.

Then the generic rule of thumb is pull 1* per lb, you may end up re scaling and interpolating, or not.

Every 7 kpa over 100 is 1 lb
135 kpa =5lbs
170 kpa =10lbs
205 kpa =15 lbs.

So if your 93 out of boost 100kpa was 30*
I'm at 28* but apples to oranges.

Then you would pull timing linearly so your total would add to 30* ie at 205kpa 15*

This is also why E85 is awesome, I run full timing through the first 5lbs of boost and then only pull .7-.8/lb .....19-20* timing @ 19-20lbs of boost.
Hopefully there is something helpful in my explanation, and more people chime in.

01yellercobra

Established Member
This is my timing table. Now it's for an E85 car on 20psi, but my eaton set up was pretty close. I ran 19 or 20 degrees on my eaton at WOT. It only had a 2.8 upper though. So obviously YMMV.

Is there a separate table for idle in the Holley setup? I have an idle correction table in mine, so I have tighter control. That means I can put pretty much any numbers in the lower left corner of this table, and it won't do anything because it will be running off the other table.

I know I have some high timing in the lower right corner, but the ECU never touches those areas, so I don't worry about it.
20221002_113642.jpeg

CobraSam

Established Member
Ok great, I’ll read through these two posts and see what I can come up with on my timing table. Once done, I’ll repost and go from there. I really appreciate your time and help. Thanks boys.

CobraSam

Established Member
This is my timing table. Now it's for an E85 car on 20psi, but my eaton set up was pretty close. I ran 19 or 20 degrees on my eaton at WOT. It only had a 2.8 upper though. So obviously YMMV.

Is there a separate table for idle in the Holley setup? I have an idle correction table in mine, so I have tighter control. That means I can put pretty much any numbers in the lower left corner of this table, and it won't do anything because it will be running off the other table.

I know I have some high timing in the lower right corner, but the ECU never touches those areas, so I don't worry about it.
View attachment 1763472
No separate table for idle timing, at least in the Terminator X software. But I can re scale it for more control. Although, I might be able to create a custom table. I’ll look into that.

CobraSam

Established Member
Ok, so about WOT timing. I might have this backwards? Yellercobra runs 20 degrees and my car is 17. Wouldn’t 17 be less timing and safer?
Also, if to make things easier I copied yellercobras table and tried that on my car, to see how it goes, will that end badly? I understand every car is different, but it seems like my table is completely off. Looks like I’m gonna have to educate myself more on timing. Thanks again guys.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Correct. 17 degrees would be considered safer than 20. That's why I mentioned this table is for an E85 set up.

If you're talking about my eaton timing I think I was at a whopping 12psi on that set up.

You can copy my table, but I'd pull some timing at WOT until you're sure how it's going to react.

CobraSam

Established Member
ok outstanding, I’ll take your table and create one for my car. Between this and the info q6543 gave me, hopefully I can get it close.

So according to calculations 16-17 degrees at WOT @ 15lbs would be safe…?

Sam

CobraSam

Established Member
Ok, what a project. This is what I came up with. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• D4955013-B064-4266-9B2C-04F344E61D48.jpeg
    D4955013-B064-4266-9B2C-04F344E61D48.jpeg
    465.3 KB · Views: 59

01yellercobra

Established Member
100kPa and above should be boost. I would bring the the WOT timing down to that level. I have mine starting a little early just to be safe as the Whipple makes boost quick.

CobraSam

Established Member
Ok I noticed you did that. So anytime the car is in boost I should be at, say 15 degrees timing. So if I’m using 15, anything above 100Kpa should be 15?
The thought process behind that would be if I’m in boost I’m WOT anyways?

Users who are viewing this thread