homeland security degree?

jbusmc1986

Got Sig?
Established Member
I am in the marin corps right now, deployed to kandahar afghanistan, and I get out next summer, When I get out I was looking at the federal air marshals. I was wondering if you guys think that a associates degree in homeland security would be helpful, in placement. Also I would like to know if anyone had any experience with that and could reccomend an online college.
Thanks John:beer:

Rob04SVT

Established Member
I work for the DHS, and you don't HAVE to have one of those 'Homeland Security Degrees.'

I believe the prereq is something along the lines of 6 months of Law Enforcement Experience.

Here's the acutal job posting on USAJobs.gov

Hope this helps, and Goodluck to you!

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I am in the marin corps right now, deployed to kandahar afghanistan, and I get out next summer, When I get out I was looking at the federal air marshals. I was wondering if you guys think that a associates degree in homeland security would be helpful, in placement. Also I would like to know if anyone had any experience with that and could reccomend an online college.
Thanks John:beer:

As of now, there is still no degree requirement for FAMs. You must meet certain criteria including 3 years work experience. A degree in "Homeland Security" sounds like something offered from one of the "technical schools" like Kaiser or Everest, etc.

A bachelors degree would give you more standing.

Remember, as with any Fed. L.E.O. job that has 6C retirement, the positions are competitive. So you need to make yourself a stand out candidate that possesses critical skills that they want.

Also, the job requires you to fly 5 hours at a time. Be on a plane about 180 days a year totaling 900 hours in the air. Plus you must be able to pass an FAA Class II medical.

SoCalCobra

Intaker & 7.5" Pistons!
Established Member
American Military University offers a B.A. and an M.A. in Homeland Security. They're extremely military friendly. Your books are included in the course cost, which is $250.00 per semester hour. That is exactly what Navy/Marine Corps tuition assistance pays. This school is regionally and nationally accredited. There is nothing but glowing reviews about this school if you look around online.

amu.apus.edu. Here's the link to their Homeland Security degree plans. Here

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
American Military University offers a B.A. and an M.A. in Homeland Security. They're extremely military friendly. Your books are included in the course cost, which is $250.00 per semester hour. That is exactly what Navy/Marine Corps tuition assistance pays. This school is regionally and nationally accredited. There is nothing but glowing reviews about this school if you look around online.

amu.apus.edu. Here's the link to their Homeland Security degree plans. Here

It is the A.A. that makes me conclude that type of program it entails.

I looked at the courses offered from AMU, they both seem very well rounded and allow for a specialization within the degree as well.

I am always concerned with online programs, as I feel students learn better in an interactive environment, where they can see and hear the professor as well as have discussions and arguments in class on the issues.

AMU certainly serves a valid purpose, as our military personnel are often changing locations and arent in one place long enough to attend one school in person.

Thanks for bring that to my attention.

SoCalCobra

Intaker & 7.5" Pistons!
Established Member
It is the A.A. that makes me conclude that type of program it entails.

I looked at the courses offered from AMU, they both seem very well rounded and allow for a specialization within the degree as well.

I am always concerned with online programs, as I feel students learn better in an interactive environment, where they can see and hear the professor as well as have discussions and arguments in class on the issues.

AMU certainly serves a valid purpose, as our military personnel are often changing locations and arent in one place long enough to attend one school in person.

Thanks for bring that to my attention.

From my experience, taking courses online requires a more disciplined student to be able to successfully complete the course syllabus. You have to be more of a "self-starter" because the online aspect does add difficulties that you don't experience at a traditional brick and mortar college. This college isn't only available to military, either. If anyone has any questions about this college or the Homeland Security degree plan, I'm currently going for my B.A. in Homeland Security with AMU, shoot me a PM.

Users who are viewing this thread