Hood blanket replacement

slalomdude

Established Member
bought a used 03 that had the hood blanket removed and the vent flaps cutt off. Should I replace the blanket and maybe do the mod to it. Any benefits for having/not having it

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Benefits for having:
AM radio protective foil to help prevent interference from engine....I didn't really notice a difference when I had mine off.
Protects hood paint....Who knows?
Drops down and smothers a fire...Laughable!
Noise suppression...Edit-I forgot that one.

Benefits for not having:
Won't get stained and look crappy.
Water will drop down between engine and radiator better...Maybe
Will vent heat better....especially if you remove or bend back flaps.

I did the hood mod and painted my COBRA gray to match the car [slightly lighter than DSG to show up better]. The thing I worry about is the blanket still staining. I have a little staining on it after a month.

Last edited:

03cobrablack

Where is the KABOOM ????
Established Member
There are a few schools of thought on the advantages or need for the hood blanket. I personally took mine of after talking to a ford enginaer I trusted knows what he is talking about. He said the main reason for the blanket is for noise supression and in wosrt case fire retardant (spelling). also to ground for am radio reception. Mine got water staned from the few times it was on when I washed it so I took it of and painted it high temp black now I only put it on for shows.

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
Mine got wasted and I bought a brand new one from Ford for 56 bucks including tax...and put it back on with just the plastic hood vent flaps folded back this time instead of cutting out the holes bigger...nice and clean and brandy new....bought an extra just incase my belt decides to go again...but I think I am fine now.

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

Users who are viewing this thread