Hood blanket, useful?

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I'm assuming the hood blanket is to absorb the heat produced by the engine, thereby reducing the chances of...what? Boiling the paint on the hood? I was thinking about just taking my blanket off. Can anyone tell me how this might have negative consequences?

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
I took mine off......so far the only negative consequence is that it makes THE TICK even louder :rollseyes

2k3biz

TCB'n like a mad man
Established Member
Are you guys nuts??? I wouldn't take it off. Those tabs are designed to melt if there is an engine fire and drop the blanket on the fire to smother it.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
yep, I'd rather let it burn to the ground than have it "repaired" after a major fire......

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
I'm sure the beancounters at Ford spent the extra $$$ to install a hood blanket for no reason whatsoever, except to add a few pounds of weight to the car and dampen the sound of the hood closing. All kidding aside, I don't know why it's there (protect the hood paint or put out fires) but Ford wouldn't have put it on without a reason. Mine stays on.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Originally posted by OCCOBRA
Mine stays on also. Maybe a diet to loose weight. No offense.

no offense taken but a clarification is in order here....I don't think anyone removed theirs for "weight savings", but rather to keep it from getting water-logged and stained, plus the added benefit of opening up the heat extractors more fully.

Last edited:

Pyro

Established Member
I believe it was there to reduce the sound emitted from the engine and the blower. If I recall, SVT had issues trying to get the engine quiet enough to pass federal requirements. Hence the silencer, filter box, and hood blanket. I could be wrong though.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Originally posted by Pyro
Hence the silencer, filter box, and hood blanket. I could be wrong though.

These items are on the GT also.

The hood blanket is a fire device just as described above.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I was wanting to take it off because I purchased it with 700 miles on it, and the blanket mod was already done. Unfortunately, the right vent was done poorly, and looks awful. Instead of making the left one much bigger to match the right one, I might as well remove the whole thing. The right one is already too large IMO. Hmm, I suppose I could simply buy another blanket. ANyone know the cost? Probably something rediculous, I"m sure:).

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Originally posted by slythetove
Great idea... unless you're unconcious.

this is true, but how many of us here tempt Fate on a regular basis anyway?......like driving on public roads at triple-digit speeds

Users who are viewing this thread