Hood blanket, useful?

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Do I understand this correctly: Water enters through the extraction vents, and instead of being channeled away, soaks and stains the blanket?

SStupid

Established Member
Contained

Originally posted by NOScobra2001
scotch gaurd? lol man let me assure you that the hood blanket WILL catch fire and isnt going to snuff out a fire fuel'd by 39lb injectors,and a 255 pump. if you have time to cut the motor off to shut the fuel down then it wasnt a fire lol. fuel tends to EXPLODE not just catch on fire and say "hey look at me, im catching fire, better do something about it" for arguements sake i took a lighter to my old 01 blanket and it tourched like a bra from the 60/ 70's

Gas doesn't explode. The fumes given off from burning fuel cause explosions when incased in some sort of container.

I don't know if I would call our hood "vents" functional. I consider anything that leaks water into my motor compartment a DYSFUNCTIONAL hole, not a functional vent.

03blacksnake

Time Traveler
Established Member
Mine is stained and looks like crap to me, but I don't know if others would be as critcal of it as I am. I'm not sure I want to take it off though. I would like to know if anyone has painted it and it still looks good and not flaking etc.

dkd58

Established Member
I've been a firefighter for 15 years, 18 as a medic, and I've seen my share of car fires. No blankie is gonna save your motor once it lights up, trust me. And please don't get me started on those 2lb dry chem extinguishers. I've been on many fatal mva's and extrications but seen just one crispy critter go up in flames after a rollover but he was already unconscious and hanging upside down by his belts. His buddy got out with a broken arm and some scorched shoes. I mean, go ahead and get your rescue tool, but most cars don't burn after an accident anyway and if they get hit hard enough to light up it's usually a lost cause for the occupants anyway, or they aren't coming out on their own power. Personally, I carry a short-handled sledge hammer in my trunk, but it's only there to help other people with a quick smash & grab.

As far as the "Ford put it there for a reason" theory, they also put a snorkel on the intake, a restrictive exhaust, and a fat-'ol pulley on the snout, etc. Be that as it may, I'd like to see some evidence of benefit before talking the blanket off but we do all our dynos with the hood up anyway. I think the best idea is to enlarge and trim out the existing openings. There are some good "how-to's" to be found on these boards.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread