Hood mod & DIY cold air vent duct

SVTgriff

www.SONICspeeds.net
Established Member
Did the hood mod yesterday and a DIY cold air vent duct...

I finally got around to doing the hood mod. It was pretty easy. I did have a painted underside of the hood, but it was all scuffed from the blanket rubbing. So, I just went ahead and did the blanket mod instead of just removing it all together.

I used door weather stripping I bought at AutoZone which was kinda steep at $30 but I could not find anything better to use on the edges of the cut blanket. I did not want to use tape as the directions said to use that I found on Cobra Bobs site.

The weather stripping actually worked great becuase I stapled the cut edges and the stripping has steel clips inside to clamp with. So I bent them out, fit the stripping all the way around the edge and then squeezed the stripping to the blanket and it holds tight.....on top of that I put the seal of the stripping towards the inside and it makes a decent seal so water can not get behind the blanket in 80% of that area :thumbsup:

hoodmod001.gif

I notice how some people take the right headlight out at the track to get more air. So I thought I would try my own DIY trick for the same reason. I bought a dryer vent duct from Home Depot and hose clamp. I took the intake screen tht came with the stock air box and put it about 3" inside the end of the ducting. I wrapped pull ties around the outside of the duct just before and another just after the screen so it will not move inside the ducting. I pulled off my air filter and dropped the duct down in the fender hole, ran it around my Heat Exchanger hoses and down to the fog light area. I fit the duct over the hole beside the right fog light and clamped it on. Then I punched a hole in the edge of the ducting up at the air filter area and ran 2 pull ties through a hole in the body of the car. I made sure the ties were around a few of the metal sprial wire inside the duct enough to hold it on without tearing loose. I also did not place the duct right up to the filter. I just put it facing up so it can force fresh air up in the area of the filter and not directly into the filter. I test drove it and it seem to work fine. It could have all been in my head but it felt like it was a little more peppy, not a whole lot but some. I will see how it goes on long term use. I also already had a K&N dry charger filter wrap, so that will keep water out of the filter if any should get in there. But, I never drive mine in the rain and its not a DD anymore.

hoodmod002.gif

hoodmod004.gif

hoodmod003.gif

I also founf these little stem caps at Walmart for like $2....thought it would look good with my Sonic Blue...

hoodmod006.gif

NHRACobra

Cobra guy
Established Member
Looks great, but I'd do away with that screen. It's slowing down air flow.

Users who are viewing this thread