hood mod in rain

03redfiresnake

Established Member
My wife and I are planning on driving about 3 1/2 hours to Ocean City, Maryland for the Crusin' Weekend. It might be raining our entire trip down - does anyone out there think the rain coming in from the hood mod will be an issue ?

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
I thought water got in wether your hood was modded or not. It should not be an issue at all. I was thinking about going to OC, but decided against it after seeing weather report. I am going to Carlisle though with some of the people from www.freestatesvtoa.com

finally

Established Member
The Hood mod was the first thing I did last July when I got my Cobra. Driving in the rain is not really an issue, very little water gets in. It's only an issue when you wash your car and happen to put an excess amount of water on the hood. It kind of runs down into the vents. Even that is easily wiped up after the wash. I have driven up to 8hrs in the rain with no issues.

silvercoffin

Established Member
who knows but that is the reason Svt gives for the way they blocked up those vents.

How did you get your hood liner to look ok after you cut i?. the few I have seen started to fray real bad after they were cut and looked bad.

My liner looks like crap mostly just from me washign the car so much. I am thinking about buying a new one but haven't bothered because it will just get water damaged again.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Originally posted by Redfire2003Cobr
I thought water got in wether your hood was modded or not. It should not be an issue at all.

It does. Wheter you mod it or not, the water comes in. The mod just keeps it off the top of the liner.

03redfiresnake

Established Member
Driving in the rain was not an issue. Here is a picture of the postban hood mod named after the person who created it. I went to upholstery shop and they gave me the end of a roll of the trim piece. It pinches into place and stops the fabric from fraying where you cut it.

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
I painted the edges with Hi-Temp epoxy, after opening up the vent holes. Worked like a charm :thumbsup:

COBRA_modded_liner_web.jpg

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
I would like to know more about this mod I had looked at the inside of a new cobra before i ordered mine and these openings were already there am i missing somthing?

norcal_cobra

Brand-X Eater
Established Member
I have had no probs with water after doing the hood blanket mod.

Cobra10thaniv- Take a closer look at the pic in 03redfiresnake's post, the opening is MUCH larger that stock. Looks like he used FlexTrim to seal the edges just as I did. Worked great!

-norcal_cobra

FX-Man

Driving the Uber Fairmont
Established Member
Originally posted by Blue03Cobra
I painted the edges with Hi-Temp epoxy, after opening up the vent holes. Worked like a charm :thumbsup:

Same here, gooped em with black high temp acrylic paint, looks great and won't peel off.

taronis

Banned
Originally posted by silvercoffin
who knows but that is the reason Svt gives for the way they blocked up those vents.

How did you get your hood liner to look ok after you cut i?. the few I have seen started to fray real bad after they were cut and looked bad.

My liner looks like crap mostly just from me washign the car so much. I am thinking about buying a new one but haven't bothered because it will just get water damaged again.

Winter ICE-- an icicle may form and proceed over the accessory drive belt....

Billy Pilgram

I have my liner removed and the vents opened up and it's my daily driver here in Seattle. Have had no problems at all. Actually I'm a little surprised at how little rain gets in. You probably get as much or more up from below as you do through the vents, especially at speed.

Users who are viewing this thread