HOOD MOD REVISITED

jonas

Established Member
the pics speak for themselves. Basically I flipped the flaps so I can reverse the mod and close the vents during the rainy season
first pic shows right done and the left with the flap hangin down

jonas

Established Member
push the vent out and slip the flap between the hood and blanket (some mild force is needed to bend the hood blanket a bit

jonas

Established Member
slipped in, you need to massage the vent in a bit since your now putting it on backwards as in the side towards the back first, it was a hot day today so the vent is very plyable and wasnt a big deal. I can imagine it being a b$%^ch on cold days

Last edited:

351MachOne

Kicking Your Ass
Established Member
I get the concept, yet still dont see the use in this 'modification'. Oh yeah, and thanks for the finger in the last pic! :nono:

Last edited:

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Well first of all, you put them in backwards. Put the part at the front of the hood in first, it hooks onto the edge of the opening, then just pop in the part toward the rear of the hood. It will pop right in and out no problem. If the flaps are why you did that, I'd just cut em.

Second, keeping the flaps does you no good. It doesn't keep out any water. They don't close flush to the vents, there's a big gap all the way around. That's why you have to do the mod. It gets in there stock, that's why everyone's hood liner gets trashed.

351machone, the point is to let the water fall though to the ground instead of soaking into the liner and destroying it.

The flaps don't matter, the water gets in if they are open or closed. I cut mine off. The only thing the flaps do is hide the engine stuff from view from the outside, and block airflow. You can see the yellow of the radiator cap through one of them at certain angles with no flaps.

Last edited:

jonas

Established Member
Without getting overly technical. At speed the air taveling over the vent sucks out the air under the hood allowing for
1. a cooler motor
2. cooler air for guys running open lement air filters.
3. more airflow through heat exchanger/radiator
4. More downforce than with it seald
5. the satisfaction of knowing its a real vent and not just for looks like the gt scoops

jonas

Established Member
Well first of all, you put them in backwards. Put the part at the front of the hood in first, it hooks onto the edge of the opening, then just pop in the part toward the rear of the hood. It will pop right in and out no problem. If the flaps are why you did that, I'd just cut em.

I mentioned its backwards its the only way they will fit if you keep the flaps and put em like I did.

lifter213

Established Member
So basically you just turned the vents around and tucked the flap the opposite way it opens stock? If so i didnt have to do that when i did mine. I cut the blanket, put the flextrim around the edges, then opened the flaps the way they opened stock and stuck the blanket back on with the flaps opened under the blacket. :shrug:

boostin'03

Established Member
I did the same as lifter. There is not need to turn them backwards and all that garbage. All you have to do is open the vents and put the hoop blanket over them and they stay open.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Actually, I don't think the plan was to pull air out as it passes over the vent. I think it's designed for air to flow through the front of the car/grille and out through the hood vents. In a perfect world you would create enough down force to push the front of the car down, but that's for cars moving a bit faster than us, and with greater angles on the air flow......ala the original GT40 or the Shelby Series One hood design. But, I may be wrong, I frequently am......:uh oh:

03DSGSVT

Established Member
I just started mine today.
I cut the hood insulation, and applied HVAC tape.
It is flexible, waterproof and can handle 200*F temps.
The only down side is it's foil covered, and stands out on the side that you see.
It says it is paintable though...I may try to paint the tape with some heat resistant paint...?

I noticed even after 2 car washes since new that the insulation is starting to stain! :(

I have read some of you were seeing the cover start to break down, and I decided to fix it before it does that.

My thought is to cut it, tape it, and possibly remove the vent covers altogether...?

I checked the oil yesterday while getting gas, and have never felt an engine that hot before!!

Mind you I am in Arizona, and it was 107* yesterday, but WOW!

I am thinking any way to get that heat out the better...!

I will post some pics if I remember, and see what you think...?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Where can some nice trim be had to finish off the edge of the head liner as you cut it? Someone posted some pics a while ago with a nice trim finish but no details of where to get it?

Thanks

lethal

Established Member
Originally posted by lifter213
I cut the blanket, put the flextrim around the edges, then opened the flaps the way they opened stock and stuck the blanket back on with the flaps opened under the blacket. :shrug:

Me too. No big whoop.

Users who are viewing this thread