Hood Mod???

Fresh Cobra

505 RWHP Blvd Pimp
Established Member
Call me crazy, but what in the heck is this 'Hood Mod" I keep seeing in peoples profiles? Am I missing out on a good mod or just going crazy?

~ Fresh :p

Steeda1

Established Member
It's were you remove (or just open) the under hood vent gards, then trim the under hood liner to let more hot air out. A lot of people have done it and seem to like it. I will more than likely do it this spring.

TRDNiteLife

UVBNBIT
Established Member
From the FAQ:

3.15.1. Hood Mod
This mod is also known as “Postban’s Hood mod” after the individual who pioneered it. It involves either A) Removing the hood blanket entirely and cutting/bending the flaps to allow more airflow or B) cutting larger holes in the blanket, sealing the edges, and removing/bending the flaps to allow for more airflow. For detailed instructions, visit Postban’s site: http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291686253

03RedCobra

Established Member
Okay, I may be stupid in asking this question, but......when you start to trim away the lining around the heat-extractors, doesn't this allow water to directly come down thru the vents onto the engine ??

I thought that part of the reason that the hood-liner was a little in the way of the heat-extractor, was that it would catch any water coming in thru the vent, and tunnel it away from the engine.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Steeda1

Established Member
I was wondering that to. I drive my car in the rain, so if there is no guard then wont the water just run down onto the belt?

BLK_03

Established Member
Originally posted by 03RedCobra
Okay, I may be stupid in asking this question, but......when you start to trim away the lining around the heat-extractors, doesn't this allow water to directly come down thru the vents onto the engine ??

I thought that part of the reason that the hood-liner was a little in the way of the heat-extractor, was that it would catch any water coming in thru the vent, and tunnel it away from the engine.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, trimming the lining and flapping the vents open WILL allow water into the engine bay. If your car is a daily driver (like mine) water will get in, and your hood blanket WILL stain...

As the car sits stock, those vents might as well not even be there. I have had my vents open since ~500 miles and I have 18,000 on it now. I have never had any trouble with belt slip, rust, etc... I detail the whole car about once a week though (including engine bay)...

On hot days, you can actually see the heat coming out of the vents!:coolman:

BLK_03

Established Member
Originally posted by Steeda1
Do you drive in the rain?

If your asking me, yes. It's a daily driver so rain, sleet, and yes she has even tasted snow...

If I remember correctly, within those first 500 miles of ownership, I washed it pretty often. The hood blanket had already started to stain with what little water had gone down the vents from washing when it was stock...

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
If you don't seal the edges around the opening, the hood blanket will swell and flake apart, whether you've cut them out larger or not. The water which does run down falls between the radiator and the pulleys. I used aluminum HVAC tape to seal the edges on mine (after cutting them out).

Mine is also a daily driver and it's not so bad. I did not remove the flaps, yet I can still see heat risers escaping when the engine is in stop n' go traffic.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Several other variations on the Hood Mod since my initial attempt.
Fiberglass resin on the trimmed edges seemd like a pretty good idea. You can watch a lot of heat coming out of those vents after you open them.

Also more rain comes in from the bottom when you drive in it. The vents are not over the engine, they are over the space between the front of the engine and the back of the radiator.

16000+ miles since I cut them, no related problems of any kind.

Also if the blanket gets stained or dirty, pull it out and spray it with black paint, it soaks in real good, protects the material and prevents further stains.

Full details in my sig album

WDW MKR

Established Member
Just toss the hood blanket and fasten the vent flaps back with whatever you want. If I'm going to wash the car, I just snap the flaps back into place and the water is directed in between the radiator and motor.

CobraTone

Established Member
I've done it with no issues. Water just runs down between the front of the engine and the back of the radiator.

byevette

Momento Mori
Established Member
I did the hood vent mod about 9k miles ago. The water falls through without touching my hood liner. There are NO water stains from this mod nor damage to the engine bay. The water stains occurred BEFORE I did the mod.

I had a thread on this about a year ago with detailed instructions. Postban was the inventor of this mod.

Simply enlarge the hole using a razor. Then use Flex Trim (you can buy this at West Marine) to wrap around the new cutouts. Finally, you can remove the plastic piece or just fold them back under the hood liner.

:beer:

Matt M PA

Established Member
I HAVE to do this mod. When I got my Cobra, it already had the stains, and I am frankly almost embarassed to open the hood.

Last time I stopped for gas, the guy from the next pump over came over to look under the hood while I checked the oil Everything is nice and clean...then you look up. Yuk.

I'm thinking I'll get a new pad...do the mod...then install it.
Anyone know what a new pad costs?

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
hmm I just grabbed a sharp knife cut off the plastic covers then carved out the blanket. no tape, nothing just open cut blanket.

been about 2k, daily driver, many times in the pouring rain.
no stains, water flows in behind the radiator, open edges of blanket are unchanged. would probably look a little nicer
to wrap something around the lip of the blanket, just never got around to it.

heat pours out of those open vents big time though in stop in go traffic.

norcal_cobra

Brand-X Eater
Established Member
Originally posted by Matt M, PA
I HAVE to do this mod. When I got my Cobra, it already had the stains, and I am frankly almost embarassed to open the hood.

Last time I stopped for gas, the guy from the next pump over came over to look under the hood while I checked the oil Everything is nice and clean...then you look up. Yuk.

I'm thinking I'll get a new pad...do the mod...then install it.
Anyone know what a new pad costs?

Matt I did the same as what you are planning to do. Only I took my car into the dealer and asked them to replace the hood blanket under warranty due to staining, they obilged the request.

-norcal_cobra

NIELSTTCOBRA

Got Boost?
Established Member
just did the mod today and not only can you see the heat comming out, the blower sounds even louder... love it. i bought some plumbing 2"x 1/8" tape from home depot for $6.00 and put around the edges. took about 1/2 hour. i also figure that for those that are worried about water when washing your car can just put a towell under the holes on the engine... don't drive mine in the rain so no biggy there.

MystiChrome Coupe

Established Member
Would the bigger cut outs in the liner interfere with a K&N CAI? The design of it seemd that the top side is openended & is sealed off when the hood is closed.

Users who are viewing this thread