Hood Pad Modification?

Matt M PA

Established Member
Hi folks...I have read more than once here about a hood pad modification. I assume it has something to do with cutting out around the heat extractors.

Why is this done? Is it to better let heat out, or are there other reasons?

Thanks!

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
It helps with "heat degas" (a good thing), straight from a Ford engineer.

Sitting at a light you will see mirage coming out of it after you do the mod.

Full details in my sig.

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
it helps with exhausting the heat a little bit and also helps prevent water spots/mildew from forming on the blanket after it rains or after a car wash. it doesn't take long for the mildew spots to form.

also some people (myself included) have removed the blanket all together. But I'm going to buy a new one from FOrd and do the hood blanket mod of cutting out the vents instead. I'm noticing a little discoloration in the paint around the vents due to the heat from the engine and supercharger.

Its not extrememly visable but the discoloration marks are still there even after a good waxing and polishing. It has been discussed back and forth what the purpose of the hood blanket is and I now believe it was to prevent paint fading from the heat. of course, I live in hot hot arizona so that probably contributes too.

dougwg

Established Member
here's a step by step for ya...

Step 1) remove hood blanket
Step 2) remove plastic vent covers
Step 3) close hood

:)

slow lane

proud daddy
Established Member
I concur with Doug.

I originally cut the blanket out around the vents. I removed the entire blanket in the Spring and there have been no ill effects on the paint on the underside of the hood from engine heat and 6000 miles of summer driving.

The only obvious effect is that the noise from the engine bay is a little louder.

Silver 03 Cobra

If you cut only where the mat is pressed together, you won't need an edge liner. It still retains the drain portion to guide some water off the engine and mine barely gets wet. Water runs down the outerside of the steps in the hood right to the channel. I painted mine with black engine paint and it's holding up well and cleans off like new.

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Antex

quantum entanglement
Established Member
Why would someone just remove the blanket and not the paddles? Removing the paddles you'd have a fully functional heat extractor.

Why were the paddles put in by Ford in the first place?

Users who are viewing this thread