Hood questions/advice Please?

FMD

Established Member
Alright, heres the backstory. I just bought a hood, and I wanted to find out a couple of things because this is the first time ive dealt with fiberglass parts before.

First: The latch is odd, ill attach a picture to show everything. Basically when I test fit the hood I didnt want to slam it down like I normally do with the oem steel hood because im not sure if it will break/crack the hood at all, it seems like it should clamp down fine but even when I applied some force it didnt want to shut fully, and I didnt want to go further and risk breaking it. Will the latch close right and im just being cautious, or does something need to be modified?
img0633xp.jpg

Second: Hood pins. I saw on a review of the hood that the man had to place the hood pins directly in the scoops which doesnt look good to me and just bothers me all around. There is room on the sides, but its the frame right behind the headlights.. Would this be sufficent enough to put pins in? Will it not hold the hood down properly if it is more towards the sides or anything? (Try to see what I mean with the headlights/hood)
img0637i.jpg

Third/Last: The hood actually utilizes ram air and heat extraction which is awesome. Is there some way to run some type of tubing or something right from the ports directly into the intake with its own filter or possibly just right above the intake? Im just thinking of the way firebirds/suburus etc. do it, or if somebody has done something custom like this before?
img0634ay.jpg

PS While im on that subject, since I have the 01 Cobra its got the 99/01 front, like the one they used on the cobra R. On the cobra R, the foglight bezel was used for not just the foglight, but the second hole was actually an intake to the front disk brakes, anybody know how to replicate this? Thanks in advance guys!

FMD

Established Member
Thank you jj, right now im just trying to make sure the technical parts come together nicely, and I figured people have been buying hoods forever so I might as well ask a few questions haha. In terms of paint ill just do laser red but im going to have the heat extraction vents painted black, should look nice.

stroked03stang

Established Member
Great idea with the hood and fog light bezels. The hood is not my cup of tea but I hope it turns out great for you.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
I am a fan of the Mach1 hood on SN95 cars because the curves in the scoops match the curves of the fenders. That hood doesn't match the curve of the fenders, and you'll be hard pressed to attach hood pins without going through the scoops.

My best advice is that if you want a ram air hood, sell your current hood then start over with a Mach1 hood, and then you can buy a ram air kit that they make for them. Plus you can install hood pins in the correct place. Cervinis or ABCexclusive would be a great place to find a better hood, because if you just take a few minutes to look at your current hood you will realize that it doesn't exactly flow at all with your car.

Just decide now if you really like this hood, because paint is expensive to apply to a hood that doesn't match the car.

Last edited:

FMD

Established Member
Ive been waiting to get this hood for 2 years now, im definantly sticking with it. The rest of the hood fits fine, except for the very part in the middle seperating the scoops from one another, that I couldve done without. But anyway im not looking to have a "oh that looks awesome/shit" discussion, I just wanted to know about the latch, hood pins, and possible routing options for the ports itself. Plus I prefer this ram air compared to the classic designs one that came stock on 03/04 Machs, it just comes out of nowhere and creates too much drag to be efficent (in all seriousness the speeds that it even comes into play are rediculous anyway) and also from what I hear you cant put a blower underneath it which is kind of a shame.

Thanks for telling me a bit about the pins, once everything is worked out ill see if I can grab the bodyshop guy and ask him some more about it, im not so much worried about it not having grip in the frame, I wasnt sure if it has little surface area to grip on the hood if that would affect it by either cracking/breaking. If anybody else has any ideas in terms of creating custom piping and or the latch thing (I noticed most non oem hoods come with this latch setup, does it work?)

And on a side note, I actually ordered my S281 wing from ABC the other day and was shocked by their service. I could barely find any reviews on them so I was afraid, but not only was th shipping fast AND free, they sent me a cracked one and then had fedex pick it up the next day, and the new wing got here I think 3-4 days later. Ill definantly be dealing with them again next time I need something.

FMD

Established Member
Oh and I apreciate most of you being civil about this, to many forums with impolite morons it seems like as of late.

Users who are viewing this thread