Hood vent flew off!

Johnscobra

HYEVON
Established Member
Ok i was racing a zo6 on the 210 coming home and of course i won but anyway when i arrived home and parked it in my garage when i noticed that my hood vent had came off now i know it was there because i was showing my cosin my engine and it was there do u think it flew of while i was racing and would that happen?
:shrug:

WHPSVT03

Horsepower Enthusiast
Established Member
I took mine completely out to paint the underside of the hood and they seemed to be pretty sturdy. That could happen under the right conditions because I believe it does lift out from the top of the hood. Tough luck, let us know the cost of replacement!:rockon:

4.6speed

Established Member
WOW, that is weird because just the other day after removing my hood liner I was opening the flaps on the vents and one of the vents fell right out. I took a long look at how they are held in. I noticed there are supposed to be 3 metal clips pushed on to the plastic vent to hold it in. On my car the one side has all 3, on the side that fell out there were none, Ford forgot to install them. I am sure my vent would have blown off on that side if I wouldn't have noticed it, it was just a matter of time. I wonder how many people are missing those metal clips?

CyberDaveA

Established Member
After I removed my hood blanket I was cutting the flaps, when one of the vents fell off. I just popped it back in and didn't think twice about it. I bet you I'm missing those clips too...

Flatliner

THE HEARTBEAT STOPS HERE.
Established Member
I just did the hood mod this weekend and had read that someone popped out the vents to trace aline for the cuts... which is what I did. I was shocked that they just popped right out. Some people had said something aboutretainers, but mine did not have them. I just popped them back in... made sure they didn't move and life went on...

03RedCobra

Established Member
Yeah, you can pop those right out very easily. It's actually pretty handy when you are waxing the hood, because that way you don't get all the residue up and in the vents.

If you lost the vent, just go to any Ford dealer and they can order them for you. I paid just under 50-dollars for two of them, so I think they are something like 24 dollars a piece.

03RedCobra

Established Member
Also.......I never noticed any retainer pins at all with the vents. I popped mine out for the very first time, and there were no pins with either one. When i ordered the new vents, there were not any pins with them either. SO....I don't think there are any retainer clips or pins with these vents. When you pop the vent out, then pop it back in, the little projections on the side of the vent keep it in pretty tight.

White01Cobra

Established Member
WOW, $24 a piece....I was shocked when one of mine popped out when I did the hood mod, but I just popped it back into place, no problems. I think it's a wonder that an aftermarket company hasn't come out with, say, a billet aluminum version of the vents. I thought by now they would have one.

Johnscobra

HYEVON
Established Member
i havent done any hood mod and i bet the clips were missing and it was the driver side one man i hope they will cover it on warranty i will get really mad if i have to pay for it lol

4.6speed

Established Member
Originally posted by 03RedCobra
Also.......I never noticed any retainer pins at all with the vents. I popped mine out for the very first time, and there were no pins with either one. When i ordered the new vents, there were not any pins with them either. SO....I don't think there are any retainer clips or pins with these vents. When you pop the vent out, then pop it back in, the little projections on the side of the vent keep it in pretty tight.
There are small metal retainer clips that push onto the plastic vents, three per side. I know this because I just got done taking one of the three clips off the one side and I put it on the other side hoping it will hold it on good enough until I get time to get to the dealer. My driver side vent seems to be staying just fine with only one clip but it barely stayed in with no clip, seems like I just barely touched it from the under side of the hood and the damn thing fell right out.

RossSVT

Established Member
No great loss. I took mine off and inserted stainless steel mesh. Looks much better. And they don't fly off.

03RedCobra

Established Member
Originally posted by 4.6speed
There are small metal retainer clips that push onto the plastic vents, three per side. I know this because I just got done taking one of the three clips off the one side and I put it on the other side hoping it will hold it on good enough until I get time to get to the dealer. My driver side vent seems to be staying just fine with only one clip but it barely stayed in with no clip, seems like I just barely touched it from the under side of the hood and the damn thing fell right out.

Oh well, I guess I got ripped off then from Ford !! I have NO retaining clips !!

Flatliner

THE HEARTBEAT STOPS HERE.
Established Member
I am wondering if they changed while on the assembly line. My vents were more rubberish than plastic... they seem like the same material of rubber floor mats. I'm glad I don't have metal retainer clips, I may have scratched my paint when I pushed them out! No bigge sounds like some do, some don't, just be careful to make sure yours don't scratch if you do!

03whitesnake

Established Member
Same thing happened to me.Mine flew off on the interstate,went back and looked for it ,couldnt find it.Went to the dealer to get another one. Talked to the service manager he covered it under warranty.

MTI LS1

Mine flew off when I was half way down the track. All I saw was this black peice fly over the top of the car. I didn't realize what it was at first. After I parked the car I saw it. Mine suck, always have.

Users who are viewing this thread