HoodInsulationRemovalTIP

OmahaStang

Established Member
I've posted this within a thread but thought I would put it out here for it worked very nicely. I removed the entire hood blanket and found an easy way to pull those plastic tabs out without potentially breaking the liner.

Take some twine or heavy string. For the hunters out there duck decoy string worked great.
1. Get a piece about 1-2 feet long.
2. Work the string behind the plastic tab by using your fingernails or a knife.
3. Wrap the string around the stud/base part maybe half a turn.
4. Yank the plastic body clip out by pulling on the string.

This worked perfectly for me and I didn't need a 'special tool' and I wasn't fighting with a putty knife or screw driver.

1. If your doing this by yourself. Fluff a blanket up and put it on the supercharger to keep the hood liner up. This will prevent it from falling/tearing when you get down to the last couple 'clips'

Granted this mod has probably been done by a majority of the people but thought it might be beneficial to some.

small weight savings i guess. Personally i am all set. The extra heat the hood will see will fade your paint faster. Especially if you have a bright color like red.

Brad

Banned
You can also use your fingers and just pull the tabs out, it's not quantum physics. Whatever works I guess, I just pulled them out by hand, took about 40 seconds total.

Last edited:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Hood blankets IMO do nothing but collect (and distribute) dust just when your engine's all detailed and looking nice.

Removing hood blankets are my first mod. And, fading paing isn't caused by heat from the engine. It's caused by the rays from the sun.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Brad said:
You can also use your fingers and just pull the tabs out, it's not quantum physics. Whatever works I guess, I just pulled them out by hand, took about 40 seconds total.
seriously, lol!

mccoigk

BLUSN8K
Established Member
19COBRA93 said:
Hood blankets IMO do nothing but collect (and distribute) dust just when your engine's all detailed and looking nice.

Removing hood blankets are my first mod. And, fading paing isn't caused by heat from the engine. It's caused by the rays from the sun.

I know for a fact that one of the reasons for the blanket is to help snuff out a flame in the event of an engine fire. The extreme heat from a fire will melt the small clips causing the blanket to fall on the engine and potentially put it out.

I know its your opinion, but for me, having the choice between car burning to the ground vs. not, I choose not. I mean is it really impossible to clean a hood blanket? :rollseyes

Spray some skotchguard on there or something, that'll keep it clean! :pepper:

Disturbance

B.N.4279 ~ B.D.12/11/02
Established Member
mccoigk said:
I know for a fact that one of the reasons for the blanket is to help snuff out a flame in the event of an engine fire. The extreme heat from a fire will melt the small clips causing the blanket to fall on the engine and potentially put it out.

However, if the fire is that intense to melt all the clips off to allow the blanket to fall on top of the fire, wouldn’t it be hot enough to catch the actual blanket or other material under the hood on fire or just keep burning after the blanket fell on top of it?

In addition, if you are that worried about a fire shouldn’t you have a fire extinguisher in the car?

I know I am going to get a fire extinguisher :burn:

mccoigk

BLUSN8K
Established Member
03PhantomCobra said:
However, if the fire is that intense to melt all the clips off to allow the blanket to fall on top of the fire, wouldn’t it be hot enough to catch the actual blanket or other material under the hood on fire or just keep burning after the blanket fell on top of it?
not sure I agree with you there. Its a fire retardent blanket ... pretty sure its not gonna catch on fire....
03PhantomCobra said:
In addition, if you are that worried about a fire shouldn’t you have a fire extinguisher in the car?
Im not worried about a fire; so I dont need a fire extinguisher. Why? I didnt remove the blanket :D
If something that drastic happens its under warranty anyway :-D

All I'm saying is having the blanket is better than no blanket at all.

silvercoffin

Established Member

If I drove my car all the time I would be somewhat concerned about the possibility of paint damage, but since I mostly race it I took mine out.

Although it has to take a while for the paint to fade and I doubt it would cost that much to have the hood repainted...

It's more likely that the hood will look bad from daily driving and paint chips before the heat will fade it.

My only complaint is the missing paint underneath it! Although I wasnt surprised. I am considering going to an auto body shop to see if they can just spray it for me to touch up the spots..looks pretty lousy

Last edited:

SVT8U

Established Member
took mine out with nothing but my fingers. I made the hood vents functional while I was at it (this required a razor blade) Took all of 6 minutes too. Even though mine is painted ( not 100%, shitty paint quality under there) It looks 65,000x better than having the dirty ass hood blanket on there.

Do this free mods and you will be kicking yourself for not doing it sooner. I know I did. :beer:

silvercoffin

Established Member

I took out my liner so I could fit my new intercooler tank in. I drove to etown this weekend to buy fuel and check out the show they had SUnday.

I was a bit concerned when I got home over how hot the hood was. I think that if I drove my car daily I would be concerned about damaging the paint. I am sure it would take time for it to happen, but it cant be good for the paint, when your hood is that hot.

For racing it will be fine though or if you dont drive your car much.

I was also amazed at the new intercooler tank. After a round trip of about 40 miles of hard driving, the intercooler coolant was just luke warm. I opened the tank as soon as I came home and stuck my finger in it. I am running water and water wetter in it. Ice is going in as soon as I get to the track with it to race.

tractioncontrol

Established Member
The hood insulator will not "fall" into an engine fire and put it out. It is nearly useless, it keeps the hood form getting too hot to touch.

NB99COBRA

shut em down open up shop
Established Member
tractioncontrol said:
The hood insulator will not "fall" into an engine fire and put it out. It is nearly useless, it keeps the hood form getting too hot to touch.

While I can't say for a fact on the cobra, I do know that there are some out there that ARE specifically designed that the tabs will melt and the blanket will fall over the engine to smother the fire. When I was shopping for my truck there was one salesman that told me that (I looked at damn near every 4X4 on the market so I can't remember which now)...but there are some out there for sure that are designed to smother an engine fire, and I assume they all are.

silvercoffin

Established Member

IS IT POSSIBLE TO GET OUR TOUCH UP PAINT IN SPRAY CANS?

I would like to touch up the unpainted spots under the hood.

I wouldnt doubt that part of the purpose is for fire insulation, but it's not going to put a fire out.

Again... the hood really does get much hotter with it off after extended driving. If my car was a daily driver or if I was going to take a really long trip I would put it back on just to play it safe. Still im sure cured paint will take a while to get damaged if it ever does.

silvercoffin

Established Member
info

You know what? I took out some mild rubbing compound..Turtle Wax Rubbing Compund and did a really good job with it. Not quite car show perfect but it looks sharp now...unless you look real close.. I'm not bothering with paint. I think it will look worse than it does now unless I get it professionaly done.

The car runs awesome with the intercooler tank.. 11.50 in 80degree weather and low barometric preasure... and with the highest MPH ever...and I'm granny shifting into 4th because of what I hope is a messed up clutch...

Users who are viewing this thread