Hoods, Hood Clearance and Notching 2010-14

MattR

Established Member
I plan to do a little work to my 2011 and might need some additional clearance under the hood. So for those that have added a Kenne Bell 2.8 or larger blower What did you do and how did it look and perform. Any issues with lowering mounts and drive line angle or headers hitting the ground?

For those of you that used the included 1/2" lowering mounts that come in a KB 2.8 kit, did you still need additional clearance. Doing a search indicated its about 50/50. If you notched your hood and show your car how did you dress it up? Do people notice the undetailed underside of the hood?

For those of you that went the aftermarket hood route rather than talk about all the options I have two I like and woudl like feed back on both if you own one or the other .

Weight versus stock
Need of hood pins
Fit out of the box
issues with heat or ram air
clearance issues
long term quality

BMC Black Mamba is really a great looking hood, has the functional ram air and a large price tag.

bmc-black-mamba.jpg

The Cervinis hood cost several hundred less, althogh I dont care for the front edge as well. The protruding parts dont look the best in the pictures.

RAMAIR.jpg

Spectre500

23yrs USAF RET
Established Member
I'm the same boat, just installed a 2.8lc on my 2014 GT500 and used the supplied KB 1/2 lowering mounts. It was supposed to clear the hood without removing the blanket or notching..... but it doesnt... not at all, as a matter of fact the hood rests about 1 inch high to be exact. I dont want to cut my hood, that's why I installed the lowering mounts in the first place. (maybe I got a unshaved set of mounts?)) I doubt it though. emailing Ken Bell tonight to see how to handle the issue.

MattR

Established Member
Your story seems to be more the norm than the exception. I would be disappointed after installing the mounts, resetting pinion angle only to discover I still needed to cut. If someone has a clean way of doing it that doesn't look hacked I'm ok with it.

Black Sex

Established Member
I actually like the Cervini's hood looks better. I think the original Shelby's had that center protrusion sticking out

Tmatt142

Established Member
I plan to do a little work to my 2011 and might need some additional clearance under the hood. So for those that have added a Kenne Bell 2.8 or larger blower What did you do and how did it look and perform. Any issues with lowering mounts and drive line angle or headers hitting the ground?

For those of you that used the included 1/2" lowering mounts that come in a KB 2.8 kit, did you still need additional clearance. Doing a search indicated its about 50/50. If you notched your hood and show your car how did you dress it up? Do people notice the undetailed underside of the hood?

For those of you that went the aftermarket hood route rather than talk about all the options I have two I like and woudl like feed back on both if you own one or the other .

Weight versus stock
Need of hood pins
Fit out of the box
issues with heat or ram air
clearance issues
long term quality

BMC Black Mamba is really a great looking hood, has the functional ram air and a large price tag.

bmc-black-mamba.jpg

The Cervinis hood cost several hundred less, althogh I dont care for the front edge as well. The protruding parts dont look the best in the pictures.

RAMAIR.jpg

I've got the Black mamba hood, don't have the 2.8 KB though. Fiberglass hoods will always be heavier than the stock aluminum hoods. It's noticeable, but not "heavy." I went with hood pins (reluctantly). I had enough people tell me "after all that work you had done to it, what if it pops up on you." They're right, to a point I guess. I didn't feel comfortable mashing the "go" pedal until I installed them. I like the look, just lost a bit of my life as I drilled holes through a perfectly good hood that had just come from the body shop! I've had no issues with the ram air, even at 140 mph. The fit.. Well, they are a mass produced hood so their fit isn't perfect but, it is pretty close. May take some shims on the hinges to get it to the height of the fenders at the window but nothing major. It was proportional though meaning all the seems lined up straight. I've heard guys having no issues with the KB 2.8 under the black mamba hood. Long term issues? It's fiberglass so you're gonna get cracks depending on the amount of body work that needed to be done, the quality of the body work etc. The guys that did my hood for me did a great job. They actually told me it was one of the better aftermarket fiberglass hoods they had ever seen.
Do your homework on the hoods. Just because it comes painted doesn't necessarily mean it won't have any issues. Just know going into it (if you do) that there are a lot of other costs in owning a fiberglass hood. Am I happy with mine? Hell yes!

MattR

Established Member
I'm the same boat, just installed a 2.8lc on my 2014 GT500 and used the supp5lied KB 1/2 lowering mounts. It was supposed to clear the hood without removing the blanket or notching..... but it doesnt... not at all, as a matter of fact the hood rests about 1 inch high to be exact. I dont want to cut my hood, that's why I installed the lowering mounts in the first place. (maybe I got a unshaved set of mounts?)) I doubt it though. emailing Ken Bell tonight to see how to handle the issue.

Any response back from Kenne Bell?

Spectre500

23yrs USAF RET
Established Member
Sorry for the late reply,been busy data logging.....Yes I got a great response from Ken, seems like the car's vary to a degree..... they sent out the 3/4 lowering mount that they use for the 3.6. Installed them an now she clears by 1/2 inch, reinstalled the heat blanket and will paint the notched area later to prevent any corrosion. I haven't measured pinion angle yet but I have no apparent vibration from the short test run i did this sunday. I'm putting together a tutorial or install for the 13/14's, it may take me a bit but Ill post it up when I get the pics from my buddys phone. Biggest piece of advice i have is to open EVERY bag and READ ALL documentation first.

Users who are viewing this thread