Hooker Long Tubes - Trans Removal

03CobraRed

Established Member
Do I need to take a header off to get my trans out?

I have Hookers on my car, I'm hoping they don't act like hookers when taking my trans out.

stroked_408

Established Member
thats funny bc i just pulled my trans out of my 1997 cobra last night to change my clutch, i have bbk longtubes and to be honest i should have removed one of the headers but with a little twisting around and a little prying i got it out but i scratch up my ceramic coated headers a little, but i think if i would of had a lift so i could get the car up higher i could have brought the tail end of the trans down more and it would have been easier. but if yours are like mine and your going to be doing this on the ground like me then i would remove one of the headers, mine was the passenger side one that was in the way, hope this helps, good luck

mdisalvo85

Established Member
According to the basic worthwhile mods thread, "Moving on, we have Hooker Supercomp headers. These headers, in my opinion, are the best option for their price. While more expensive then Mac or BBK, they allow you to drop the transmission without the removal of the passenger-side header, which is a big plus when you need to replace the clutch or tranny" by rippinsvt

Chrome98Cobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah you can remove the trans with those headers, thats pretty much the main reason I went with the Hookers..

03CobraRed

Established Member
Yeah you can remove the trans with those headers, thats pretty much the main reason I went with the Hookers..

Thank god! I knew there had to be a reason you went with these. Let me tell you, I absolutely love the nightmare of the X pipe to header configuration. I had a shop cut the X pipe and put a new section in to make the X fit further on the header, WITH NO SLITS.

Either way, I think Bassani Mid Lengths are going on this winter! Easier trans removal, more ground clearance... I loved them on my 03.

EAD-racing

Established Member
thats funny bc i just pulled my trans out of my 1997 cobra last night to change my clutch, i have bbk longtubes and to be honest i should have removed one of the headers but with a little twisting around and a little prying i got it out but i scratch up my ceramic coated headers a little, but i think if i would of had a lift so i could get the car up higher i could have brought the tail end of the trans down more and it would have been easier. but if yours are like mine and your going to be doing this on the ground like me then i would remove one of the headers, mine was the passenger side one that was in the way, hope this helps, good luck

Did you remove the passenger side header when you put the trans back in?

03CobraRed

Established Member
I didnt need to, it was much easier on a lift. Nomatter what headers you have, it still sucks getting 2 of the starter bolts in!

03CobraRed

Established Member
I didn't move them one bit, the trans hits it on the way out if you try taking it straight out but of you pull it out of the clutch and everything and turn it clockwise it will come right out.

Users who are viewing this thread