horn wont shut off after LT install.

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
Ok i want to smack my head into the wall. ive finished my install and everything went well except now when i hook that battery up the horn will not shut off. right now i have the fuse pulled. i have tried to push the panic button and nothing. the car starts and runs, pretty sure itll let me drive it. any thoughts?

Monster Mach

Established Member
Ok i want to smack my head into the wall. ive finished my install and everything went well except now when i hook that battery up the horn will not shut off. right now i have the fuse pulled. i have tried to push the panic button and nothing. the car starts and runs, pretty sure itll let me drive it. any thoughts?

What did u do ti install lts? Drop the kmember? pull the motor out?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

CPRsm

Nah, iirc, all fords have always been 2 wire. If he pinching/pinched, he needs to be looking for 2 smashed together.

SILV03MustangGT

Established Member
the steering wheel feels a little sloppy as well. still no luck with the horn either. i got the car jacked up and checked the steering stem and its all tight. (except for the side to side slop.)

CPRsm

Side to side slop ? You mean there is play in the steering wheel ? There should be none. If the wheel moves, the tires move.

SILV03MustangGT

Established Member
here is something i just noticed. when i disconnect the battery and reconnect it the headlights flash on then off.

SILV03MustangGT

Established Member
figured out what happened with my steering. 10 hours under the car and my dumb ass put the steering bolts in upside down. needless to say thats fixed. as far as the horn well shes still blowing.

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
The headlamps turning on then off when you reconnect the battery is normal.

The horn is controlled either via the horn button on the steering wheel, or by the factory security system via the BCM located in the passenger kick panel.

The control signal from the BCM to the horn is a +12v, so I don't believe that there is anything under the car or hood that would be causing the horn to be blowing constantly, as if it were a pinched wire, you should be blowing a fuse when you go to activate the horn.

The control from the steering wheel is a ground signal, so if that wire were shorted to chassis ground, that would cause the horn to blow continuously. Though why that wire would have gotten pinched during a header install is beyond me.

Next possibility would be the BCM itself, though the only way I can see this being the cause is if somehow battery power was shorted to the chassis and it caused the BCM to "burn out".

Last possible cause would be if the horn button itself somehow is bad.

I've attached a pic of the BCM in the passenger kick. Circled is the connector that has the wire leading from the horn button on the steering wheel to the BCM. Unplug that connector. If the horn continues to sound, then I would assume that either the BCM is bad, or the wire leading from the BCM to the horn is shorted to 12v somehow. Based on the fact that you are pulling the horn fuse and the horn stops, I have to assume that the horn wire is NOT shorted to 12v.

Hope all this helps.

SILV03MustangGT

Established Member
Were you rotating the steering wheel while the shaft was disconnected? Possibly hosed up the clockspring.

yea becuase i thought that i needed to verify the wheel was centered and not sitting a turn or two off. i think that is prob what happend. how do i get in there and un hose it?

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
i think u need a new clockspring. i think once they are messed up, they are done.

make sure u have the battery unhooked and no static shock to set the air bag off.

97LaserRed

Fresh
Established Member
How many times did you turn the wheel? If the clock spring was bad it probably would cause the horn issue but what about the air bag of you turn the wheel lock to lock wouldn't the bag pop?

ViciousJay

Established Member
sorry to hear but at the same time im :lol1: old memories of a friend who had a car that would hit a bump and the horn would get stuck for miles... ohhhh the good ole' days

Users who are viewing this thread