Horrible problems down-shifting into 2nd, what could cause this? Very annoying

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
I've never had the dreaded 1-2 shift, then again I don't drive hard, but since I've had this car, my situation is the reverse, down-shifting into 2nd gear just pisses me off. It's like it becomes a two-step process unless you YANK the hell out of it into second, up-shifting is fine, stationary is fine. Cruising at 35-45 mph and needing 2nd gear to pass, rev match and all, 2nd gear does not grind, but you can easily hear how it almost sounds as if the shifter suddenly spawned a notchy pattern (the click-click you can hear), like SUPER notchy and I swear slows me down at least half a second unless I rip that sucker into 2nd, and it feels like I am going to break something always. In city driving it sucks as I'll have to YANK it into 2nd or do it slowly and it's "notch-notch" and you can feel how incredibly unsmooth it is without question, all other gears are like butter.

I can post a video, but what the heck causes this? I've never grinded a gear and I don't get why 2nd gear becomes a "click-click" process rather than how all the other gears are a simple click, boom and off, it really messes up down-shift rev matching and having even remote fun. I'm due for an oil-change @ My Dealer so I was trying to understand what it could be, I know upshifting people have issues but I've NEVER had a lock-out that way, it's just 2nd gear becomes clunky as hell and ungodly notchy (if you don't yank it, it's literally a pull...I think I'm in 2nd..wait no...pull..k in 2nd" scenario, had it since I got the car and it bothering the HELL out of me now, as I can't imagine what would cause it, and I want a MGW shifter, but not until these issues I fix.

Can any of you car gurus give me some input on what could make 2nd gear so incredibly notchy when all the other gears are super smooth when it comes to downshifting? You really do have to "YANK" it into the gear, no grind, just weird resistance. With 2nd gear down-shifting being such a burden it really is killing the fun.

Thanks in advance, just wanna know what to tell the techs, you can also easily hear the "notch notch" if you all need a vid. Only ever happens in 2nd as stated prior, and 2nd is the most fun gear, but I don't USE it that way and have been avoiding it, which I am tired of, who the heck buys a manual these days let alone a GT-500 to "work around" the fun?

I love the MGW Shifter but I have yet to hear anything about it fixing this weird down-shift notchyness with 2nd gear only, seems to mainly help when driving aggressively and up shifting fast.

Anyway thanks in advance, I just want to know what to ask them to check when I go to the dealership...and nobody likes going to the dealership :-\

Last edited:

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Shifty, if you dont want to spring for the MGW, then at least upgrade the trans oil to Amsoil Signature Series ATF. I was blown away by the difference. Its been well documented that it works, and there really isnt a solution the dealership can offer, because the answer lies in the aftermarket.

One member on here was ready to trade his car in, until he went MGW.

Also, when downshifting, you cant baby it. Pull hard, down and to the left.

Speedboosted

Established Member
Downshifting sucks into second...be a man and muscle it in lol. But really though, change trans fluid, take the rubber isolators out of the stick, and then report back. I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised by how it shifts

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
How about you just don't downshift into 2nd, even when I get off the highway I let 3rd slow me down til I push in the clutch to stop. Don't really ever use 2nd like that unless I plan on stopping but traffic starts to move so I hit 2nd since I'm slow rolling already. You shouldn't be down shifting in a high rpm but don't know if that's the case.

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
Try tapping the accelerator as you downshift. It is much easier on the drivetrain when you more closely match engine to transmission speed. It should improve things greatly and increase longevity.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Change the shifter. It will be the only true way you'll enjoy the car. The factory shifter is a piece of shit and Ford should be embarrassed to put such a mechanism in a $50-65K vehicle. People on this site bash the crosstown rivals, but you can no lift shift from the factory the SS/ZL1's. We have to replace trans fluid and $500 shifters to get to that point. I, like you, truly hated the driving experience in my 12 as the shifter just ruined it. Replaced the shifter with the MGW2, and I actually like to drive this car now.

psycholx

ALWAYS STANG, SOMETIMES L
Established Member
I too have this issue, look what I got. Will post after install:
image.jpg1.gif

psycholx

ALWAYS STANG, SOMETIMES L
Established Member
Update, new shifter..shifts great. A little stiff but probably will losen up.havent driven Enough to assess the issues but hands down a better shifter smooth.
image.jpg1_1.gif

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread