House Framers/Construction question

Nukem1040

Established Member
I'd keep the switch at the correct height inside the bedroom, but I hear you on the hidden closet. Although, not sure how you are going to pull that off with steps.

Me too lol. Seeing who has ideas. I’m doing a lot of YouTube and Pinterest. At least I can make temporary steps and barn door and next owners can make it hidden, if I don’t do it by then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

08mojo

Established Member
Me too lol. Seeing who has ideas. I’m doing a lot of YouTube and Pinterest. At least I can make temporary steps and barn door and next owners can make it hidden, if I don’t do it by then.

why not put the switch on the right wall of the closet?

Nukem1040

Established Member
why not put the switch on the right wall of the closet?

That would have been a better idea but I kept the option open that if you have a door that swings inward i.e. a hidden mirror/door, then you can’t flip the switch.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I'd keep the switch at the correct height inside the bedroom, but I hear you on the hidden closet. Although, not sure how you are going to pull that off with steps.

Make a set of steps on a hinge that flips up and into the closet.

Nukem1040

Established Member
Make a set of steps on a hinge that flips up and into the closet.

Now we’re talking. You have any examples of how the steps would pivot up and down?

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Now we’re talking. You have any examples of how the steps would pivot up and down?

Not off hand, but make them so they flush up with the threshold, and then maybe attach them via a piano hinge?

Something similar to the pulldown attic stairs, only more beefy like a typical set of stairs.

Nukem1040

Established Member
Not off hand, but make them so they flush up with the threshold, and then maybe attach them via a piano hinge?

Something similar to the pulldown attic stairs, only more beefy like a typical set of stairs.

Ok, that’s a good example. Thank you.

Nukem1040

Established Member
Flip that switch to the other side of the wall. The walk in closets of our house have a mix of some with the switch outside the closet and some inside. I very much prefer the switch to be outside of the closet.

Edit: on another note: do you know the name of the interior paint? I really like that grey. We are having a tough time finding the right neutral grey for our home.

4a3f679155b69c63928cce2029c75909.jpg

8b9b789d51b062149089de514fe1c732.jpg

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Doubt it matters at this point to you, but if they are 2x4" 20' span, it could be the bottom stringer of a truss structure. You are loading the truss in a way it was not designed for. Either way a 2x4 and a 20' span is far. When you sell the house, I would wall back up over the closet.

On the upside, I bet your daughter is very excited about the project.

Nukem1040

Established Member
Doubt it matters at this point to you, but if they are 2x4" 20' span, it could be the bottom stringer of a truss structure. You are loading the truss in a way it was not designed for. Either way a 2x4 and a 20' span is far. When you sell the house, I would wall back up over the closet.

On the upside, I bet your daughter is very excited about the project.

You are correct it’s far and 2x4’s were not designed for this. The closet is 6’ wide. I double re-enforced the 2x4’s for support. Now that the floor is laid down and three of us adults on it, it’s very firm. There will only be my 16 year old and her cloths along the outside of the wall.

Yes, she’s very excited and watching this project.

If the room gets flagged whenever we sell, I’ll just put a floor jack in the garage and re-enforce that.

Nukem1040

Established Member
About 80% done. We have to trim the carpet by the door and the add base board.

We have to touch up the door/book shelf, then get books and frames secured to the shelves for the illusion. It is not a deep book case so I was thinking of cutting books to fit properly. Do you guys have other ideas?

Floor is extremely solid with the reinforcement I did in the framing.

7ae40328996fda8def890fecabdaf60f.jpg

431fca5795f32ffee5e299bef0262e04.jpg

520a478da9148287698ecd9a7c7611d8.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread