House passes bill to sue OPEC over oil prices

16kOrBust

Established Member
Maybe if the government put some damn effort and money into making the very realistic fuel cell cars a real world deal rather than pissing away money on useless nonsense, then our country's demand for fuel would drop like a rock, along with gas prices, and allow me to go to the track on the weekend for less than $100 just to get there and back; not to mention it would shut some of those greeners and environmentalists up for a while (although most of them will always find something to complain about).

The new Toyota fuel cell car they've begun leasing out in California gets 270 mile per tank of hydrogen and gets the same mileage from a kilo of hydrogen as a normal car does from a GALLON of gas, they've solved the cold weather issues they have with them, and they have absolutely zero emissions. The only downside I see is they only go 100mph, but for a daily driver, who the hell cares?

The reason we aren't pursuing this is.......????

Last edited:

Pure03Venom

Imma Ho...
Established Member
... not to mention it would shut some of those greeners and environmentalists up for a while (although most of them will always find something to complain about).

Nah, once we all go to hybrids or electric cars they will start attacking the factories making them and forcing them to comply with ridiculously restrictive environmental regulations that it will force the cost of production through the roof...

So yeah, like you said, they would just find something else to complain about.

NewKid

Aliens
Established Member
That seems pretty useless. How can they force OPEC to abide by our antitrust laws?

Not to mention, the fact that OPEC will just cut production to say "funk you" and raise them even more.

Maybe instead of useless stuff like this, congress should repeal some of the "green" rules and regs around building refineries since that is the main bottle neck for us...not opec.

Uh, what? We're suing countries we don't live in because they aren't giving us enough of what we want?

Unless I see a more comprehensive explanation, I deem this stupid.

We have plenty of oil in this country, we just aren't doing enough to harness/refine/get it to the public. Why not just play nice with Canada? Invest in drawing crude from tar sands. Increase refining capacity for domestically sourced crude. Drill ANWR.

+1

DrivenVA

Established Member
I say let gas prices become unbearable. Its only when they become exhorbitant that we will see any really viable alternatives. Necessity is the mother of all ingenuity.

As far as this topic goes, Congress trying to pass a bill to regulate OPEC is mind-numbingly stupid. Regardless of whether this is just grand-standing for the American public or they actually think this will achieve some result, I'm embarrased that they are our elected officials.

I bet Ron Paul was in the minority that voted against it.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
This is what embarasses me about America. Sue mentality because we too lazy find solutions to our own problems.

Common

Established Member
How pathetic.

Only in America, the nation of "sue for anything" can a imbecilic congress fathom an idea with so much audacity as suing ANOTHER country for selling them a product for a high price or increase the production more.

NewKid

Aliens
Established Member
I say let gas prices become unbearable. Its only when they become exhorbitant that we will see any really viable alternatives. Necessity is the mother of all ingenuity.

As far as this topic goes, Congress trying to pass a bill to regulate OPEC is mind-numbingly stupid. Regardless of whether this is just grand-standing for the American public or they actually think this will achieve some result, I'm embarrased that they are our elected officials.

I bet Ron Paul was in the minority that voted against it.

There is some truth to this. While I believe you're right about an alternative coming up as a result of gas prices going through the roof, I would like to see this happen without everyone hoping on their bikes.

This is what embarasses me about America. Sue mentality because we too lazy find solutions to our own problems.

Another problem we face is that the compition is so fierce between alternatives and current oil that some ideas are going to be suppressed and bought, just to be hidden away. It's not good buisness on the part of the oil companies to have an alternative come around, unless they're controlling it.

Oh, and yeah, this kind of stunt makes me hope that a volcano surfaces in Washington.

Last edited:

Pure03Venom

Imma Ho...
Established Member
My guess is they can't possibly believe this is going to be effective and it has to be chalked up to it being an election year and everyone is trying to grandstand to get the sheople to think they are on their side and want to fix the problem.

At least, that is the only logical explanation I can make out of it...which is an oxymoron for sure to put logical and congress together...but still...

16kOrBust

Established Member
Well what sucks is that the longer they can suppress, say, that hydrogen fuel cell idea, the higher gas prices go and the higher "competitive" hydrogen prices will seem and they'll be able to market when it finally comes into fruition. If gas is $13 a gallon and they can sell you hydrogen at $9 a kilo for the same mileage, that will seem like an amazing deal to most people, even though they could do it now for $2.75 a kilo and it would seem awesome, or five years ago for $1.50 a kilo and it would have seemed like a great deal.

NewKid

Aliens
Established Member
My guess is they can't possibly believe this is going to be effective and it has to be chalked up to it being an election year and everyone is trying to grandstand to get the sheople to think they are on their side and want to fix the problem.

At least, that is the only logical explanation I can make out of it...which is an oxymoron for sure to put logical and congress together...but still...

Absolutely agree. Welcome to politics.

Users who are viewing this thread