Houston, we have a big problem

SCBQQSTN

Established Member
My sister just bought a 97 procharged stage II intercooled P1-SC cobra.

She showed me the dyno numbers that the previous owner gave her, 369 rwhp and 365 rwtq..... what the hell is wrong with this picture?

She said the previous owner she bought the car from did not bother to change the gapping on the stock spark plugs and did the dyno pull with the stock plugs. The a/f is not linear at all, its all over the place.

He changed the plugs to NGK-TR6 with the proper gapping but did not get it retuned. He said it ran a lot better with the proper plugs.

Before I take it to get retuned is there ANYTHING I should be aware of? Or is the stock sparks plugs responsible for the low dyno numbers?

The current pulley setup is for 6 psi

y2k2gt

2V PoWereD
Established Member
Stock the car only made about 260rwhp, so the 369rw at 6psi sounds right.

y2k2gt

2V PoWereD
Established Member
To make 420rw the car would need 300rw n/a. They were rated at 305fwhp.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
420rwhp is more like 8-9psi.. and a good amount of timing.. it could be a very conservative tune.

2V99GT

SVT God
Established Member
Really? I thought the normal hp range for these cars at 6 psi is 420 at the wheels no?
not really. 6 lbs of boost isn't much. also, the plugs being stock and not gapped correctly would make a difference in power for sure.

for reference, my car with the stock longblock made 440/400 on 9lbs of boost through the P1, with longtubes.

flowgoode

F it!
Established Member
if you say the a/f is all over the place it is definately a good idea to get it retuned, or dyno'd to check the a/f on a wideband atleast.

I made about 430rwhp on 10psi and like 14degrees timing on my stock motor.

Users who are viewing this thread