How bad did I get ripped off?

duzzi

love my Mystic
Established Member
To make a long story short-drove from ny to las vegas to move my daughter. Had to stop in williams ariz for gas. Owner comes out & says " boy your front tire are really bad". Was my daughter s jeep & was going to buy new tires for her eventually and he made it sound like I was lucky not blowing one out because of the trailer I was pulling. Ending up w/ 4 Bridgestone Destination 235 70 16x load. Charged me 220 each and 22ea for mount and balance, Total came to 1082. Wifey heard conversation & I knew if I didn't buy and we had a problem later I wouldn't hear the end of it. I just feel I got ripped of. By the way I googled his station and other people has similar stories. :fm:

Kiohtee

Established Member
Everything I find suggests no more than $145 per tire. $22 to mount and balance a piece is retarded. He could've at least mounted and balanced them in that $200+ per tire price. And hate to be the dickhead, but I would've told my wife to STFU if I heard any BS from refusing those.

How bad were your tires really?

duzzi

love my Mystic
Established Member
Two front were chopped on inside .One in back was losing air on the way out. After listening to this guy about how dangerous it was to take a chance on them, I started second guessing myself. Figured I wanted to be safe not sorry. Thinking about calling AAA to lodge complaint [he is a AAA station] so other's don't get screwed.

POPPAJ

Established Member
Sounds like you got ripped. That's the price you pay for not prepping your vehicle for the trip. Both front tires chopped? Better get that front end taken care of or your very expensive tires will be shot soon.

You really knew better, didn't you?

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
why would you start a long road trip, towing a trailer, with a tire that was 'losing air and on the way out'? you should have swapped new tires on long before the trip. consider the extra money you spent a 'tax' on you, for not being prepared for a long trip.

duzzi

love my Mystic
Established Member
no defence for my neglect but it was my daughter's car. she had it @ her mechanic's for oil change & checked belts & hoses. He felt tires were ok and it passed ny inspection. I had her drive to my house and we left feeling car was 100%.

Ibleedblue13

Established Member
no defence for my neglect but it was my daughter's car. she had it @ her mechanic's for oil change & checked belts & hoses. He felt tires were ok and it passed ny inspection. I had her drive to my house and we left feeling car was 100%.

No reason for me not to believe you but tires don't just wear like that up front without some serious play in the front end. I would have your daughter get that checked out soon or she/you will just be stuck in a viscous cycle of replacing front tires. Even with death wobble on my jeep driving 70+ miles a day on the highway for two weeks the wear was not that significant

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
why would you start a long road trip, towing a trailer, with a tire that was 'losing air and on the way out'? you should have swapped new tires on long before the trip. consider the extra money you spent a 'tax' on you, for not being prepared for a long trip.

This. You got ripped because you put yourself in that situation. Lesson learned hopefully.

Either way, while he did upcharge you, he did possibly save your/your daughters life by pointing out what the other mechanic obviously missed. I see nothing wrong with what he did.

Last edited:

Bronze123

Established Member
Bridgestone/Firestone has a 30 day test drive on their tires. Tell the guy you dislike how they handle, and you'll return them for your old tires.

But than again your traveling, so i dunno if its possible

wrksnfx

FordTrucksDaRestJustSuck
Established Member
Me I just go to discount tire and tell the person behind the counter that I want a (400 Treadware or better / AA or A Traction Rating / A or B Temperature Rating <----- On the letters NEVER go below those ratings) for as low as cost as possible. The last time I bought tires I got out the door w/ everything incl. $250.00 (2007) for 4 tires.

Here is some info that may help everyone save some money when tire shopping.
Tire Treadwear, Traction and Temperature Ratings - Discount Tire

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
To make a long story short-drove from ny to las vegas to move my daughter. Had to stop in williams ariz for gas. Owner comes out & says " boy your front tire are really bad". Was my daughter s jeep & was going to buy new tires for her eventually and he made it sound like I was lucky not blowing one out because of the trailer I was pulling. Ending up w/ 4 Bridgestone Destination 235 70 16x load. Charged me 220 each and 22ea for mount and balance, Total came to 1082. Wifey heard conversation & I knew if I didn't buy and we had a problem later I wouldn't hear the end of it. I just feel I got ripped of. By the way I googled his station and other people has similar stories. :fm:
you got popped for about twice what they should have cost you and that is conservative.

Two front were chopped on inside .One in back was losing air on the way out. After listening to this guy about how dangerous it was to take a chance on them, I started second guessing myself. Figured I wanted to be safe not sorry. Thinking about calling AAA to lodge complaint [he is a AAA station] so other's don't get screwed.
you definately should do this. and soon. also point them to the other complaints about the shop. Hell I paid less than that for tires for my cobra.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Nothing here to complain about IMO. Are the tires working fine? Is your daughter safer?

The only person you have to blame is yourself for not properly researching the tires and costs before hand. It's not the shops fault for trying to make a buck.

Bronze123

Established Member
Me I just go to discount tire and tell the person behind the counter that I want a (400 Treadware or better / AA or A Traction Rating / A or B Temperature Rating <----- On the letters NEVER go below those ratings) for as low as cost as possible. The last time I bought tires I got out the door w/ everything incl. $250.00 (2007) for 4 tires.

Here is some info that may help everyone save some money when tire shopping.
Tire Treadwear, Traction and Temperature Ratings - Discount Tire

I been taught that UTQG ratings are flawed. Their under controlled test and not well regulated. Basically i can start a tire company, make a tire. then claim it has AAA raiting for everything. Who will prove me wrong on that rating ?:nonono:

Users who are viewing this thread