how capable is a 99-01 cobra motor?

NICEBLK03

SO FAST YET SO BEAUTIFUL
Established Member
I was curious as to how much power a 99-01 motor can handle? Are they strong like the 03-04 motors? Do they have any good internals or should i just replace everthing? Can the block handle power? How are the heads, Do they flow decently well or should they just be replaced, or ported?

Looking to make 6-650WHP through an auto.

CobraVenom01

Established Member
Premium Member
Not capable at all to hit your goals in stock form. Bottom end is not forged except for the crank, heads do not flow as well. In stock form from what i have seen the limit is about 450 to 480 rwhp, and thats pushing it. The only advantage we have over the terminator motor is we have an aluminum block, and im sure some people will say iron block is better.

Solo500

Established Member
If it has a teksid block, then the block is very capable. Everything else has to be replaced if you want more than 400rwhp. The heads flow pretty well but you could benefit from a port job.

NICEBLK03

SO FAST YET SO BEAUTIFUL
Established Member
So is the block any good? I have no problem replacing the internals. It will be turbo'd.

How do i know if it's a teksid block?

Thanks for all your help fellas.

Solo500

Established Member
The Teksid block is extremely strong and very light. There are people pushing over 800hp with no problems. Forged pistons and rods would be needed, of course. Teksid blocks have square grids on the intake valley and the WAP blocks have diamond grids. Somewhere on the block should be a white sticker that has the part number. The Teksid part number is F6LZ- 6010-AB.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Do some searching. While a Teksid block would be great...there are those in here that feel the WAP...with forged internals...is good for up to 800hp.

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
Do some searching. While a Teksid block would be great...there are those in here that feel the WAP...with forged internals...is good for up to 800hp.

search is down :poke:

but yes the block and cranks are good for anything in 600 area. The pistons and rods are our weak links. The 99-01 C heads flow well, but the 03 has some improvement, but nothing a port and valve job can't fix. Just get it tuned by someone reputable. A good tune makes the car whether it has forged internals or not

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
You can easily make 650 with either a WAP or Teksib block, a stock crank, and stock C heads. Really, you just need rods and pistons. Oh, and plenty of fuel :)

john_anch_ak

So is the block any good? I have no problem replacing the internals. It will be turbo'd.

How do i know if it's a teksid block?

Thanks for all your help fellas.

Go back to the top of the "New Edge Cobras" post and at the very top you will see a link called "How To's", click on that and you will see a number of good information links. One is called "What is the difference between the '99 and '01 Cobras. Read that and in the "Engine" section you will see the following:

Another difference was the block used. All 99 Cobras recieved the Teksid block while only some 01's did. Other 01's that did not get the Teksid instead recieved a WAP (Windsor Aluminum Plant) block. For more on that see quadcammers post in the 99/01 FAQ.

So that's how to tell if you have the Teksid block.

And I also see that there is a sticky at the top of "New Edge Cobras" that also says "What is the difference between the '99 and '01 Cobras", it's the same thing written by the same fine gentleman. :D

Users who are viewing this thread