How close is too close?

04LSKILLER

Established Member
Just installed a Magnaflow catback. Its really close to the passenger side of the gastank and both tips are close to the bumper. None of them are touching, just very close. Should I be worried about it?? The exhaust also has a burning scent, is it normal?

2.1kennebell

ricerEATER
Established Member
i no on my gt we had to heat up and bend the pipes a lil to get them away from stuff...and the burning scent is normal...atleast it was for me

CobraKid04

Established Member
Mine touches the gas tank a bit :eek:. It will only smell till you get it heated up enough to burn all the oil/coating they put on the steel. Its normal. I just put on my x pipe today and i had the smell and smoke.

Oxford Snake

Established Member
I like to be able to slide my hand in between the tank cover and the pipes (parallel to the tank). I had them too close at one point and they melted a hole in the Black plastic cover while on the dyno.

The smell is normal if you just installed it as they have residual oil on them when they cut/bend the pipes.

04LSKILLER

Established Member
Heres a pic. Thats the only place where its close, everywhere else is fine....
Magnaflow013.gif

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Just keep an eye on it, if you see some signs of melting then see what you can do to move the pipe a little.

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
I think you should move those pipes or stick with the chance of being a firecracker.:nono:

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
I think you should move those pipes or stick with the chance of being a firecracker.:nono:

You should loosen the clamps and adjust the position of everything. You will have better success if you loosen the entire catback. I wouldn't run my car with it that close. :dw:

Charles236

Established Member
I agree with the posts suggesting adjusting the pipes to give a little more clearance. My Magnaflow cat-back was close in the same place (I have an '03 IRS in my Mach, so I'm using a Cobra cat-back), so I loosened all the clamps on the passenger side and adjusted the pipes until I had plenty of clearance. It is easy, but just takes a little time to get everything lined up.

Users who are viewing this thread