how come there are no Cobra spy shots(good ones)

jguerrero

Established Member
With the supposed unveiling next month of the new Cobra,how come there is not a single leaked spy shot. Is this either great IP protection by Ford or is the car not ready at all yet. The Z06 had tons of info way before it was unvieled. Kind of weird.

crazyhorse06

Established Member
jguerrero said:
I guess this is why, no one cares :banana:
I care. If you don't, why are you here?

I called SVT a while ago. They said they were going to make an announcement at NYIAS and did not know if they were going to have something to show. So, maybe it isn't ready yet.

WhistlePig

Bedroom Gangsta
Established Member
The fact there are no good spy shots is a little fishy. But I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised come the New York auto show...at least I hope so.

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
Ford is fantastic at hiding stuff. The one pic of the mule with the rubber cover on the hood taken by AmyV6 is the ONLY true mule pic. Even the walleye distorted 'white stang' pics over a year ago were purposely released by Ford. Remember, no one knew about the the project petunia(GT40) or daisy(shelby roadster) untill hours before the unvailing. You think this stuff is good, just wait untill the hurricane makes its debut. The next 3 years are going to be revolutionary.

jguerrero

Established Member
Sounds good cant wait, it will make my make my choice to wait for one until 07 a lot easier if its looks real good.

Jman20427

Die Rise
Established Member
KevinB120 said:
Ford is fantastic at hiding stuff. The one pic of the mule with the rubber cover on the hood taken by AmyV6 is the ONLY true mule pic. Even the walleye distorted 'white stang' pics over a year ago were purposely released by Ford. Remember, no one knew about the the project petunia(GT40) or daisy(shelby roadster) untill hours before the unvailing. You think this stuff is good, just wait untill the hurricane makes its debut. The next 3 years are going to be revolutionary.

Just read a thread saying they put a hault to the hurricane? Or was that just speculation and rumor :shrug:

Last edited:

Talus

LookingThroughAWideAngle
Established Member
aside from minor bumper and hood changes the Cobra is pretty much a GT with a different engine, visually...i know susupension++++ but you get me. so the test mules coud be Stang GTs rolling around Detriot, which are pretty much in camouflage. The new Z06 has different fenders, scoops and so on so the mules were easier to spot.

Last edited:

Fourcam330

Established Member
KevinB120 said:
You think this stuff is good, just wait untill the hurricane makes its debut. The next 3 years are going to be revolutionary.

Ford didn't used to be good at hiding stuff. Again, just curious, where are you getting your info on the Hurricane?

fordification

Established Member
I was saying the same thing. They're just keeping the Cobra info very quiet I guess. Which makes me think, the less info there is on it the bigger the unveiling will be. Besides the powertrain, I'm thinking the exterior styling will be really special, setting it apart from the GT.

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
Ford didn't used to be good at hiding stuff. Again, just curious, where are you getting your info on the Hurricane?

From people who know people(yes that ol thing), the constant mentioning of it in Ford news letters and timelines for dealers, official 'go ahead' stories from Ford a year ago, and recent refferences to it in interviews with Ford reps. Even as recent as last month's GR-1 article. People at plants don't necessarilly know what is coming up. Most of Ford's employees outside the Mustang development team did not know what the car even looked like until an official corporate unvailing last fall. Design bucks now reveal the design was 90 percent finalized in 2001. The funked up 'white car' photo 'leaks' last year were actually from the unvailing of a production body V6 to the rest of Ford's employees, only a few months before the public saw it.

Common sense also dictates that with today's power wars makes the modular obsolete in the very near future. I would say the 4.6 most likey survives for light trucks and cars. The cost of modding it and modding it is by far more expensive then a little more cubes with now simple positive displacement technology, not to mention the 5.4's packaging simply sucks. GM and DCX using relatively simple but larger motors for big HP #s at cheap prices make it a have-to situation. Ford does not have the luxury of German makers who simply add $10000, $15000, or even $25000 to the cost of a model line at will because they feel like adding technology. Ford needs near 400 hp in a $30k pickup truck asap for bragging rights. The F-150 wasn't incredibly overbuilt to get stuck with the 5.4 forever. People say that they need to get their money's worth out of the new 3v head design. Well with almost a million F-series per year, and the heads also are in mustangs, Super duties(the same design is also now on all V10s), all Expeditions, and most likely on the 4.6's in the 06 Explorer and sport trac, it doesnt take long. It makes business sense to eventually consolidate the entire 4.6 lineup to the all-aluminum 3V in various tunes and build a bigger specialty motor for hot rods and trucks ala the DCX Hemi program. The money saved by that short term fix while increasing sales pays for a new motor design to join. Look at how little is known about the way-overdue Duratec 35 VVT that finally shows this fall. Ford has said MUCH less about that motor lately then the hurricane, there are a lot of taurus, 500's, and freestyles with the curent D30 that still need to be sold. They used to talk about it a LOT more when it was off in the distant future. And now that I think about it, there were talks of its 'death' a few times over the past few years. Oh, same goes for the 4.5 Powerstroke V6, that motor was alive and dead more times the Elvis. They must of been doing SOMETHING to have it come out this year.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread