How dangerous is it to...

Addicted2Fun

Established Member
Change out the Mid pipe (with cats) and CB w/o a tune?

I was thinking about doing this but feel as though i should ask if that is advisable.

*I edited this to make it more likley what i was thinking about doing. Any and all information is very helpful, thank you!*

Last edited:

Steeda30

Clearance Clarence
Established Member
The only thing I'd be worried about is changing the intake configuration, as that can affect the way the MAF reads the incoming air - it may be allowing some air to go by unmetered, depending on how the CAI curves and how the MAF is turned.

Once the car's tuned with a given intake setup, the addition of more or less boost won't require a retune, so long as the injectors are providing enough fuel and the MAF is not pegged.

*EDIT* if you're on a factory tune then it'll most likely be rich enough to be safe even if it does lean it out some.

Last edited:

Jefe

Established Member
Ive got the JLT RAI and Bassani Catback/Catted X. No tune. Runs a little lean up top. Probably getting a tune here soon

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLwK_OgnyIs"]YouTube - 04 Cobra Dyno[/ame]

AaronK

Established Member
You should be ok unless you MAF position changes... better safe than sorry though

Jefe

Established Member
How much wiggle room do you have in moving the maf position? Mines about 30 degress higher than it used to be

Addicted2Fun

Established Member
How about just changing out the mid pipe and CB w/o a tune? would that be alright without a tune for like 2-3 weeks and just have them install the pulley/cai?

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
unless you change the amount of boost you shouldnt need a tune

That is 100% Bad advice!

A/F is tuned through the MAF by AD Counts. Boost has NOTHING to do with it. If a car has the MAF Transfer Function dialed in properly then you should be able to run what ever boost you want. (So long as you have enough headroom in MAF voltage/ AD Counts.)

How do you think turbo cars are tuned? They can run all different boost levels with just the push of a button. With a proper tune, you can run all boost levels with the same tune.

A good rule of thumb is any time you move the MAF position, you should check your A/F. (Moving the MAF can throw off AD Counts/ A/F)

I'll give you a quick example with my car. I went from a JLT 12" High Boost kit to a Metco RAI kit, I figured it might be a little leaner but actually ended up being a full point richer! I had to retune for it to get back to my desired 11.4 A/F ratio.

I'm not saying all cars will be like this, because every car is different. But you can not just say "You should be fine", as that would not be correct.

I recommend having your A/F checked.

Better yet, make a small investment in a wideband and keep an eye on it yourself.

Just my $.02

BlackBeauty44

Snake bitten
Established Member
If your Short Term Fuel Trims are set correct, then you should be in the 14.64:1 (Stoich) at cruise and idle. Wide open throttle 11.4-11.6:1 is a good pump gas A/F.

Isn't that close to what our cars run stock. i know they run lean at idle but pig rich at wot especially the 03 cobras

Users who are viewing this thread