How Do I Claybar?

ArcaneParadise

Established Member
I searched the forums and I am very worried about claybaring the car myself, since I do not want to scratch the paint up... If anyone could tell me the proper way of doing it, I would appreciate that very much. Thank you.

trance_in_miami

Established Member
well. First wash your car. With dawn then dry the car. then. either use caly lubricant or car wash soap and water with alot if suds. :dw: Then fold your clay and then put lubricant on the surface and on the bottom of your clay. I Use car wash coap better to get larger areas.usually do the fenders, hood scoop first in a 2x2 feet area. then apply the clay in a foward and back motion, I make sure i never ever ever :dw: . Drope it. I keep folding deping on how dirty the clay is. Then i'll know i did my job when the surface feels smooth. Then wash you car again with car wash soap. And finally dry your STANG with a Waffle Weave Microfiber towel.

The clay is what i beleive the most CRUCIAL! part for detailing your car surface. :eek: Take your time I beleive it is like taking off blackheads off your face. :xpl: ..lol :beer:

Last edited:

mustang_00

Established Member
i tried clay for the first time a month ago.. it honestly didn't do much for me. I used mequiars. I ended up just buying a blackmagic sponge with the "rough" side to take off the dead bugs and tree sap and that worked very well for $2.84 haha

scootro

Established Member
With dawn no no no bad just use a good car soap. no dish liquids...........there for dishes not stangs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cuss:

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
You want the dish liquid to strip the old wax off the car...then clay bar.

The only missing step is:

Put a fresh coat of wax on after the clay-bar and wash :)

Scott P

Established Member
Washing the car with Dawn is a wasted step. You don't need to do it and it really doesn't add any benefit to claying or polishing. Wash the car with your regular car soap, then clay. After that, you are all set to polish and wax.

brucewrs

UDLOSE
Established Member
mustang_00 said:
i tried clay for the first time a month ago.. it honestly didn't do much for me. I used mequiars. I ended up just buying a blackmagic sponge with the "rough" side to take off the dead bugs and tree sap and that worked very well for $2.84 haha

Be careful!!! The rough side will give you swirls in the clear coat.You have to soak the car really good to get the bugs off.Use a wet micro fiber rag and slowly rub the bugs off.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
I use Griots Garage stuff exclusively and their clay and speed shine is a great combination. I recommend getting one of their kits and using it. The key is, never hurry. Take your time getting bugs and crap off. That is what clay is meant to do but not instantly. It removes that stuff without damaging the paint. Anything that removes stuff quickly is probably damaging your paint. Good luck.

mustang_00

Established Member
sometimes when i get road tar or bugs that won't come off i'll use wd40 (a little spray on that specific area) then i'll wipe it off with a microfiber towel and wash it immediatly

Jpjr

Established Member
mustang_00 said:
sometimes when i get road tar or bugs that won't come off i'll use wd40 (a little spray on that specific area) then i'll wipe it off with a microfiber towel and wash it immediatly

WD40 or starter fluid with alcohol. old mechanics trick and works especially well when trying to get bumber stickers etc off your car.

Users who are viewing this thread