How do I get this new '03 Cobra that's in another state?

JRock

Established Member
I've located an '03 in the color I want but it's in the Chicago area. I'm in Maryland. This is the nearest dealer I can find that has this color in stock in an '03 non-10thAnny Cobra coupe.

I want this car. Thing is my local Ford dealer wasn't really working with me on price on an '04 and doesn't have any '03s in stock. I found this '03 in the color I want in Chicago but I doubt my local Ford dealer will be willing to work with me to DX the car to them for me to buy, without trying to charge me ridiculous fees and such.

I'd be happy to just buy the car at the Chicago dealer but I don't have the time to fly out there to deal face-to-face. I'm wary about doing it over the phone and buying a car I've never seen, if that's even possible.

How do I do this properly since my local dealer won't play ball? Does anyone know a dealer in Maryland that is willing to get an extra unit sold for this month by DX'ing the car here for me and then selling it to me at invoice minus $1500 cash-back incentive?
I would pay the cost of transporting it here (I would have it shipped in an enclosed carrier.) They wouldn't be making much profit but they would be selling another SVT unit.

If anyone has a salesman they highly recommend who I should talk to or knows a sales manager at a Maryland area Ford dealer please let me know. PM me if it's info you don't want to post on the forum.

I'd like to acquire this Cobra before it's too late, I'm just not sure how to do it cost effectively.

Thanks in advance.

BlueOvalBill

Established Member
What dealer in the Chicago area has the Cobra you want? I got the best price I was able to get (give or take $100) over the phone when I bought mine. I'll go check it out for you if it's a dealer that's relatively close by.

99cobraclone

Established Member
I would try some more dealers, some dealer will eventually help you out. You just need to search, search , search!

kaboom

Yea it's a 03 now shut up
Established Member
Get the vin# and call 1800 ford svt to make sure it's not a first run 03. Be wary of anything built pre 11/02

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
Whenever you buy a car, forget about the sales guys out front, (Sorry Sales Guys) call the dealership and ask for the Fleet Manager. Those are the guys to deal with. I got another 3000.00 of the window sticker by going through the Fleet Manager. Just my .02 worth.

JRock

Established Member
It's a Sonic blue NON-10th Anny, NON chrome wheels (which is okay with me though I do like the chrome wheels too). I believe it's a late build (~march '03) so it shouldn't be a first run car.

It's located at Spring Hill Ford which is in East Dundee, Illinois.

I have the VIN too. So I should call my local dealer and ask for the fleet manager? If I play my cards right you say he might be willing to work this out with me?

Btw, this car is showing the Front License Plate Bracket on the list of optional equipment installed. I assume I can take it off later and just fill any little holes drilled into the bumper with caps or filler right? =p Sorry, that's kinda off topic to the rest of my post.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
May want to try Sheehy Ford in Gaithersburg. They sponsor the Freestate SVTOA and the sales manager seems pretty supportive. His name is Marcel Didier. Phone is 301-258-1015.

The Orphaner

Snake Charmer
Established Member
What do you mean by Sonic Blue non 10th anniversary? There were no 10th Ann. Sonice Blue's. They only had Red, Black, and Silver.:??:

JRock

Established Member
Yes you're right, I just wanted to specify that the car was not the 10th anniversary but I guess that's not necessary for that color.

JRock

Established Member
Man insurance on these cars is ridiculous. I just got a quote from my ins company and it would double my policy. (clean record, no accidents, 24 years old). One more year and it will drop a little but still.... $2,920/year for Cobra as pleasure car with high coverage, my current '98 Grand Am beater changed to work car with just liability coverage, and renter's insurance. $2,243 of that is the Cobra.
My current total policy is around $1500/yr.
I can do an '02 Audi S4 sedan instead of the Cobra for $2,141/year - almost $1,000 less insurance.

Fawk.

Looks like insurance is going to keep me from buying a Terminator. I can't reasonably afford buying the car and then having also that much insurance cost per year plus more expensive gas costs, etc. Bah. =(

Last edited:

xVENOMx

straight boostin
Established Member
sorry to hear about it man. i too have been trying to find a sonic blue. i found two with low miles i'm going to my dealer today to see if something can be worked out

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member
Everybody talks so much trash about the "first run cobras", I have a first one. 20k and she is pulled, ported the works and never a problem.

ralphy1798

Established Member
Originally posted by BLK03SVT10TH
Whenever you buy a car, forget about the sales guys out front, (Sorry Sales Guys) call the dealership and ask for the Fleet Manager. Those are the guys to deal with. I got another 3000.00 of the window sticker by going through the Fleet Manager. Just my .02 worth.

True.

I got an 04 a couple months ago for 33,200 no problem from the fleet manager which i knew was a good deal, but now also know is one of the best deals anyone has gotten here!!! :beer:

I had a 94 vert GT on my insuance witch I traded for my 03. My insurance only went up 60.00 a month...I thought that was great for a early 30,s guy for that car!!

chiliman

Established Member
Who's your insurance with.

Call Progressive!!!

I've got an '04 Toyota Sequoia, '02 Toyota Sienna (sorry guys), and the '03 Cobra. The Cobra is listed as a pleasure vehicle for less than 10k miles per year.

Annual policy for all three is $2500. No teenagers in house, me and wife are 30+.

Randy

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by JRock

Btw, this car is showing the Front License Plate Bracket on the list of optional equipment installed. I assume I can take it off later and just fill any little holes drilled into the bumper with caps or filler right? =p Sorry, that's kinda off topic to the rest of my post.

Just because it says the car has the front license plate bracket doesn't mean it's mounted on the car. Dealers will order the bracket in states that require a front license plate. Although most of us would never allow that ugly thing to be put on the front of the car. It also takes away from resale value. :)

JRock

Established Member
Thanks for the help guys.

Regarding Progressive, aren't they known for disputing where your car gets fixed and what sort of parts are used when fixing it? I believe that's why they're so cheap.

Then again for two cars plus renter's insurance i really don't think $3,000 is that terrible for a 24-year-old, although I do have a perfect record as far as I know, and the Cobra is $2,200 of that.

Users who are viewing this thread