How do I take care of my car when i'm far away?

svtcobrar2004

Established Member
I'm stationed overseas and most likely won't be going home for about 3 years. My cobra is sitting in my driveway. It is being taken care of as in, being started and running for 10 mins here and there it will be driven up and down the street.

My question/problem is.. what kind of problems would the car run into if it's just sitting there being run for 10 mins every week or 2. My father is taking care of the car.. and he doesn't seem to understand it's not the samething as any other vechile.

Also. It's pullied and tuned with 2.93. I forget what i gapped my spark plugs to.. any ideas?

Do you think my fluids will be good until i get back? besides the oil changes. if not. what do you recomend for trans fluid?

many many thanks.

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
I would not even consider leaving the car outdoors for that much time, if that was my only option I would probably sell it before letting it sit there. You could always get another one when you got back...

I'm in a similar situation as you, I work overseas and I have done so for about 2 years now. I have my car in heated/temperature controled storage and that is what is necessary for long duration storage. Without the temperature regulation things on the car will start to rust with the temperature changes and condensation that will form on the car. A perfect example is how quickly brake rotors rust when they go unused. My car has been in storage now 2 years and there is still NO rust on the brake rotors, all thanks to the temperature regulation.

Things you will also need/want to do:

-Gas Stabilizer
-Move the car slightly every now and then (to avoid flatspotting your tires, if it's parked on concrete)
-Do not use the handbrake (it might stick on if it's left on and not used)
-Use of a battery tender to keep the battery charged
-Change the engine oil so it's nice and fresh
-Give the car a good detail and wax

That's about all I can think of right now, I'm sure other people will chime in with other suggestions.

svtcobrar2004

Established Member
appreciate it, i would like to put it in storage but i dont have a garage nor do i know anybody who can put it in a garage. I don't have the funds to put it in a nice storage facility. and there is no way i'm selling it.

Users who are viewing this thread