how do I take care of the paint job?

50 Proof

Established Member
I just bought a 96 Mystic Cobra. The paint is still in very good condition. There are some very light swirl marks in the paint. I'm wondering how can I take care of this paint so that it doesn't get screwed up, faded, scratched, etc?
I have a sheep skin mit and armor all car was soap for washing cars with, is it okay to wash the Mystic with this sheep skin mit? Are there any better options? Should I dry the car with a shamie? Are all shamies pretty much the same?

What about waxing, polishing, etc? Should I get a buffer? What kind of material should I use when waxing and polishing?

Last question, most important question. The owner gave me a car cover with the car. Everytime I put it on, I'm afraid that I'm taking dust particles and engraving them into the paint. Am I ridiculous to be thinking this? I live in California and the summers can get pretty hot out here, I'd like to keep a car cover on it while I'm at work all day. Are car covers pretty safe to use? Is there a right and wrong way to put them on?

I've never had a car with thise NICE of a paint job and I want to be sure I take care of the car to keep it looking good for a long time.

Last edited:

jpk

Established Member
A good car cover will not trap moisture. I have the Ford Mustang Cobra cover from Ford Merchandise made of the Noah material. It is breathable and allows water vapor out, but won't let water drops in. They aren't cheap, but compared to other covers it isn't that much more expensive.

I use the cover every day and I have no scratches on my Mystic paint after owning the car since it was brand new. The only spiderwebs I have seem to be created from washing/drying/claying.

I am still paranoid every time I take the cover off or put it on. I shake it out every week or two and I wash it at the laundromat in a big front loader once a year. I won't let anyone else take it off or put it on, again because I'm paranoid and figure I'm the only one gentle enough to not rub the cover hard against the paint.

The cover keeps the car cool, prevents the paint from getting damaged from random acts of God (hail, snow, ice, acid rain, bird poop) and is probaby much better for the car than leaving it open to the elements.

Users who are viewing this thread