How do NT05s compare to comp tires??

cluscher

Established Member
For those of you who have run both the NT05s and something like the RA-1s, R888s, NT01s, or 555rIIs on the track, how would you describe the difference and how do the NT05s compare? It seems everyone raves about the NT05 in a track setting, but I recognize it still is a street tire and a comp tire would perform better. I'm just trying to guage how much better before I decide what to buy.

I would use the tires primarily for track use while also getting around with them on the street a bit, and not intentionally in the rain. My car is not a DD. Tire wear is not an issue for me, but extra cost is depending on the level of added performance.

I'm specifically looking at either the 555rII in 285/35/18 or the NT05 in either the same size of 275/40/18 for my '07 GT500. The difference in price is about $100/tire......the price of the 555rII just shot up :dw:. Any input is welcomed, especially from those who have experienced both the comps and NT05s.

Teej281

Established Member
I ran the NT05's in 295/35-18 and now run the Toyo RA-1's in 335/30-18. Both are great tires, and obviously the Toyo's grip harder and have a better sidewall. But the Nitto's are a stout tire. Since you said they are going to be on a GT500, its tough to suggest you the right tire. You'd think you want the stickier tire, but the R-compound tires arent near as forgiving as the style of the NT05's. So I'd almost suggest the NT05's as they grip and are forgiving.

Look at it this way...the NT05's are the cutie next door that will satisfy your needs and be faithful. The R-compound tires are her smokin' older sister that would rock your world...but she could cut you loose at any time.

ironpeddler

Established Member
I ran the NT05's in 295/35-18 and now run the Toyo RA-1's in 335/30-18. Both are great tires, and obviously the Toyo's grip harder and have a better sidewall. But the Nitto's are a stout tire. Since you said they are going to be on a GT500, its tough to suggest you the right tire. You'd think you want the stickier tire, but the R-compound tires arent near as forgiving as the style of the NT05's. So I'd almost suggest the NT05's as they grip and are forgiving.

Look at it this way...the NT05's are the cutie next door that will satisfy your needs and be faithful. The R-compound tires are her smokin' older sister that would rock your world...but she could cut you loose at any time.

How do you find out the compound on your tire? Is it on the tire? Stupid question I know.

cluscher

Established Member

Thanks for the feedback! Definitely a great anology I can relate to. The difference in price for four is about $400. Going with a comp tire was pretty much a no-brainer for me before, but they went up about $50 each, and now the decision is not as easy. Anymore feedback from others?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread