How do you change the fuel filter???

DRIVINGLESSON

Established Member
Simple question. I just need to know if there is anything tricky about it. I hate to start on a project and find out I need a special tool. Any thoughts???

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
From the looks at where the fuel filter is located, you will need some rubber gloves that go up to your armpits, since fuel will undoubtedly roll down your arms. Looks like a smelly messy job, but I would still do it myself instead of allowing some meatball mechanic at the dealership attempt it.

Juiced-03

Established Member
I just did mine last night, and it wasnt too hard, but yes you will get DRENCHED with fuel!!! You will need to go the parts store and pick up a fuel line/ac line disconnect tool. They are cheap! And of course you will need a replacement filter, I got the Fram-G8018 filter. Dont waste extra money on the Motorcraft, a fuel filter is a fuel filter. You will need to relieve the fuel pressure by removing the cap off the schrader valve and pressing down on the valve with a small screwdriver and towel to soak up the fuel. Relieve all pressure! This valve can be found on the front of the fuel rail on the passenger side.

The fuel filter is right behind the rear differential up high. There is only one spot you will be able to stick your arm up in too. Now if you have big hands like me, getting access to the screw that loosens the hose clamp aorund the fuel filter is the hardest part. Then once you get that off simply pop off the snap on fuel line disconnect, then use the tool to seperate the fuel line from the fuel filter. Fuel will spill everywhere, but dont worry, there is no way to prevent it, just be ready to move once the line is off!!!

Be sure to take note of the flow direction arrow before removing the stock filter!!!! Install the new fuel filter in the right direction and connect the fuel lines til you hear a click from each line as it catches the ridge on the filter. Then tighten the hose clamp and turn the key to the on position several times to build pressure and check for leaks. Youre done if all is well!

Users who are viewing this thread